Hello from Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!

I don't think my body could function in Maine, at least not in the winter!
Born and raised in the Mohave Desert!:rockin:

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

I lived in Barstow, CA for almost seven years before moving to Maine. It's quite a change but all-in-all it's for the better. While having temps of -40F or -50F in the winter can be a ***** it's not all that different than having temps of 130F in the summer. It's all in the preparation.

I live within a stones throw of Sebago Lake. I love the summers and also the winters. I can't imagine liviing anywhere else. Cold winter nights are perfect for enjoying a hearty stout.

Welcome fellow New Englander !

I have lived in VT abt 11 years now ... came up from PA.

I used to goto camp in Nobleboro on Lake Damrascotta (sp?)

As a fellow new member from Maine, this is as good as any place for me to say "hi".

About me: I've been reading the forums for a while, been brewing a little bit longer... and I can barely spell barley.

There is a great HBS in Gray, just off the turnpike. The Hop Shop http://www.thehopshop.com/ - Ed is the owner, great guy and knows his stuff. He always has a couple of batches going in the shop. To get there go north on the Tp take the Gray exit, go right then south on 100. He is soon after the Gray Market Place on the left.

Thanks Brewdoc. That is actually where I go to get my supplies!
I was wondering more about beer stores that sell wider varieties of beer, not the typical BMC/hannaford selection.
Thanks!

Opp's sorry I miss read your post. Oakhill bevrage in scarborough has a bunch of micobrews and exotic brews. They also have homebrewing supplies in a limited selection. Though not savy on the HB front, the owner is very welcoming.
Look for them behind McDonalds off RT1 at Oakhill corner in Scarborough. Oakhill corner is at the intersection of RT 114 and RT 1( near the high school) :D

http://www.oakhillbeverage.com/ <<<check em out

Happy Brewing,
Brew doc

Had a nice evening last night with sales rep from Shipyard... he manages VT territory ... tasty brew from Portland !

Yes, Shippyard makes some tasty brews. Old thumper, Bluefin stout, and Prelude are among my favorites. They have pumpkin head ale in sept - oct (one of the best around). The Export ale is also much enjoyed.
:mug:

Newbrewoob,
Glad I could help. While your out at that brew shop swing over to Sebago Lake brewpub. for lunch or dinner. Good meal and very tasty brews. Boat house brown, Runabout red, and Lake Trout Stout are my top choices. Sebago lake brewing is near the Maine Mall, maybe 5 or 10 min. from the BS.

Brewdoc

Thanks yet again Brewdoctor...I just last week bought a large pint and a half bottle of Sebago Trout Stout---tasty stuff. Is the location by the mall where they brew all of their beer?

Maine is full of great breweries IMHO--Geary's, Shipyard, Sebago, Gritty's, Casco Bay... Etc Etc.
The Holiday "Prelude" from Shipyard is quite good, I will have to be on the lookout for the Shipyard stout as I haven't run across that one yet....

Red Hook's Longhammer IPA is among my favorites as well, though not from Maine, but close enough....

I'm also in Maine...portland to be exact! I've been lurking around here for awhile.

I'm a big fan of gritty's...shipyard is good too!

Sebago brewing has 3 resturants in southern maine...Portland, Gorham and So. Portland. I'm not sure where the make all the beer. I do know that you a can get party pigs (growlers) at the Maine Mall location, I not sure about the others.

Nice to meet ya Broadbill

Guess I should mention I have a roubust port in the secondary. Will be bottling on Wednesday. I haven't brewed in about a year and 1/2.

Nice to meet you BrewDoctor!

BTW...I would also like to hear about the new brewshop that's opened up next to the Great Lost Bear....I came across a thread on beeradvocate about it and I guess they are opened now but with limited hours. Since the only other brewshop is in Grey, it would be nice to have one in town. Although the hop shop is the place to go, right?

No brewing for me yet....finishing up my degree this week but planning on having a productive December...

hey Newbrewoob,

RSP on forest Ave in Portland also has a good range of micro/craft brews...not sure how they stack up with the store that Brewdoctor recommends in Scarbrough, but you might want to check it out.

you should also check out DownEast Beverage on Commercial Street in Portland, almost right across the street from the Ferry. They have quite a few Belgians and good local Maine brews. Their beer guy loves to talk about beer if he is in. www.downeastbeverage.com.

Like broadbill said above, RSVP on Forest Ave also has good stuff. I think most of the stores are fairly comparable but you may find some small prices differences if you shop around.

Welcome and happy brewing!

BrewDoctor--Checked out The Oak Hill Plaza store you had mentioned. Really great selection of brews plus more homebrewing equipt. than I thought they would have. Thanks again for the tip...

Tried an Allegash Brewing Co. (out of Portland) Tripel Ale last night....Fruity smell, but good tasting. With 9%ABV The seccond one was even better!!

brewdoctor said:
Sebago brewing has 3 resturants in southern maine...Portland, Gorham and So. Portland. I'm not sure where the make all the beer.

They brew in Gorham off 25. I got about 2 cases of half full/throw away bottles from them when i started brewing. They are nice people, but I have to admit I don’t like there beer that much. my favorite is Allegash. I have never gotten one I didn’t like, but they are pricy.

Its good to see more people from Maine on here. I was getting lonely. Any one know of any homebrew clubs or meetings in the aria? Sit around drinking homebrew, talking beer, that kind of thing. :mug:

g_rath said:
Its good to see more people from Maine on here. I was getting lonely. Any one know of any homebrew clubs or meetings in the aria? Sit around drinking homebrew, talking beer, that kind of thing. :mug:

I'm trying to plan something up here at my place this summer. I'm up in Aroostook by Caribou, with a few extra acres and a small pond... was thinking a weekend long camping / beer-BQ thing... I'll let yo know as we get closer...

Back