New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
la Ville Rose
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190324203325164_COVER.jpg

HB Coffee Milk Stout. Was a bit harsh at the beginning, but has mellowed nicely. Based on the Left Hand Milk Stout recipe and just threw in the leftover coffee from the brew morning.
IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds great! I’d like to get a recipe for that one. Mind sharing?
It's gonna be hard to replicate unless you smoke and roast your own grains. Then spund.

Single infusion mash 60 minutes.

5lbs pale malt
5lbs pecan smoked pale malt.
1/2 lb slow roasted pale malt.

2 oz Mt Hood @60 minutes.

Pitching S-05. Using normal fermentation temp of 65F.

This beer is spunded at 20psi at 64F.

Spunding is a cool and fast way to carb your beer. I started the spund on the 4th day after pitching. It finished up in the keg.

That's why you get a killer head. It's so dense and stays that way all the way down the glass. Short of sucking the foam.

I smoke my own grains and roast them too. These roasted grains were done with popcorn popper or stir crazy popper for 30 minutes. It gives the beer a very nice roasted taste. I was expecting a darker color but that's what comes with experimenting.

I'll post my thread on smoking, roasting and toasting here in a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Last edited:
Just read your post about this one. What sort of ppm did you achieve with 2g of CaCl? I’m going to be kegging an NEIPA today and used 3:1 CaCl to CaS04. Interesting read! Cheers!
To be honest, that was a stab in the dark. I don't know the ppm already in the DME, but I assumed it was fairly balanced, so I just added more CaCl2 to make sure the balance was on that side.

It would def be interesting to send the finished beer into Ward Labs and find out how it stacks up to Julius or whatever.

It's gonna be hard to replicate unless you smoke and roast your own grains. Then spund.

Single infusion mash 60 minutes.

5lbs pale malt
5lbs pecan smoked pale malt.
1/2 lb slow roasted pale malt.

2 oz Mt Hood @60 minutes.

Pitching S-05. Using normal fermentation temp of 65F.

This beer is spunded at 20psi at 64F.

Spunding is a cool and fast way to carb your beer. I started the spund on the 4th day after pitching. It finished up in the keg.

That's why you get a killer head. It's so dense and stays that way all the way down the glass. Short of sucking the foam.

I smoke my own grains and roast them too. These roasted grains were done with popcorn popper or stir crazy popper for 30 minutes. It gives the beer a very nice roasted taste. I was expecting a darker color but that's what comes with experimenting.

I'll post my thread on smoking, roasting and toasting here in a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/637254/

Thanks. I may try smoking my own grains.

FWIW: you don’t have to spund to get awesome long lasting foam

View attachment 621021

IMG_0780.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 620230
Trio of the same saison with different yeasts and an amber lager

@Craigmn Those saisons are really beautiful, I've got one in the fermenter as we speak, should be ready to rack any day now. What 3 strains did you do them with? And what percentage of your grain bill was wheat? I really like that color and level of clarity (where its a little hazy but the light coming thru it makes it glow golden)

CB90D4B1-F320-482E-B866-B2E4E09476FD.jpeg
9.8% 5gal batch

I think the Carmel tone is pleasant for my liking at least. I’m not a huge fan of over Carmel tasting ipa’s at all. This One seems to have a nice balance between malt and hops.

"Northy 12" from Northern Brewer. Wax sealed all of these bottles for cellaring... well mostly because it looks cool.
'
IMG-4617.jpg

Back