Made ME happy anyway...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
Gotta love 'em sometimes... The big chain grocery store across the street has a very limited selection of imports... rarer still is something on sale...

However today...

Bass 12 pack for 12.99.....

I've always liked Bass... but this of course gives me the added bonus of the BOTTLES. I'm going to inventory my supply this weekend and make sure I have enough to handle two 5 gallon batches... I think I'm now right in the ballpark... :ban:

The one thing is, the beer seems thin... I really liked that Robert Bruce 2 weeks ago, so I guess I need to go hunting for something a little heartier...

All in all though I'll take it...

:mug: Ize

Just about the only time I buy any beer from the regular grocery store is because it's on sale. After enough sales, I end up with around 20 different beers in the fridge. :)

I think that's what threw me. I never really was that impressed with their selection but Bass is a decent beer, and compared for that price to B/M/C, it's good to have on hand. So for that price, and for getting the bottles I thought what the heck... I would definitely look for more beers there if they cut back on the miles of the mega breweries in the aisle and gave even a little more stock space in the cooler to the smaller brewhouses and widened their import department...

Then again the brewery here at home is coming together slowly but surely and things will be moot at that point. :rockin:

Ize

Fridge.JPG
Ok, I lied. There's only 18 different kinds in this photo ;). Here they are from right to left, top to bottom:

-Edit: Left to right!

Top: Fat Tire, HB - Belgian Tire, HB - Carly Jo Pale Ale, HB - American Brown, Coastal Fog Pale Ale (back), Sam Adams White Ale, Pyramid Curve Ball Kolsch (back), Hoegaarden Wit, Leffe Blonde (back), Stella Artois, Mendocino Brewing IPA (back), Stone Smoked Porter

Bottom: HB - 6/4 Stout (2), HB - The Standard IPA (2), HB - Carly Jo Pale Ale (2), HB - Belgian Tire (2), North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Murphy's Irish Stout, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine, Anchor Old Foghorn Barleywine.

Sometimes there's as many as 26 different kinds in the door. :D

Brewsmith said:
Ok, I lied. There's only 18 different kinds in this photo ;).
Good choices there mostly - I'll let you off the Murphys and Stella Artois - aka 'Wife Beater' in the UK!

Caplan said:
Good choices there mostly - I'll let you off the Murphys and Stella Artois - aka 'Wife Beater' in the UK!
I had never had Murphy's before, and they were as a four-pack of cans, so I thought, "Why not." As far as the "Wife Beater," here you have to go to Keystone Light, or in my neck of the woods in LA, Tecate or Corona.

I went to the store today, and restocked the fridge. Here's the updated pic:
Fridge2.JPG
After some shuffling around, the fridge now has 24 different beers in it!:D Add the following to the list: Chimay Red, Angel City Brewing - Angel City Ale, Lagunitas Imperial Red, Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial Ale, Moylan's Double IPA, and Trader Joe's Bohemian Lager.

Ize said:
I've always liked Bass... but this of course gives me the added bonus of the BOTTLES. I'm going to inventory my supply this weekend and make sure I have enough to handle two 5 gallon batches... I think I'm now right in the ballpark... :ban:

WARNING: Bass bottles (in my experience) have a larger outer diameter on the neck than american bottles. When you cap them, they will look like they are not sealed well. I've never had any real problems with them, but they make me VERY uneasy/uncomfortable.

I have gathered enough bottles for my needs now, and in the process I have moved the Bass and Warsteiner (same issue) bottles out of the rotation. They are sitting in a box along with the clear and green bottles that I never use.

Hmmm... Now I'm going to have to check that out when I get home tonight... Thanks for the heads up. And if they don't seal right, what the heck, it was still a good deal on a 12 pack.

I read on another thread about hitting the recycling center... just might have to check that out... Or just buy more beer.... ;)

Ize

Brewsmith said:
I had never had Murphy's before, and they were as a four-pack of cans, so I thought, "Why not."
It's not that Murphy's is particularly bad - I do drink it occasionally. When i first 'discovered' it about 13 years ago i'd been drinking too much dodgy Guinness for the previous 5 years!:)

Brewsmith said:
As far as the "Wife Beater," here you have to go to Keystone Light, or in my neck of the woods in LA, Tecate or Corona.
God Emporer BillyBrew said:
That Stella stuff Sucks! I thought Heineken was skunky!
Stella Artois isn't good here in the UK. It's about 5.2% ABV, fizzy and Yellow. I guess that's the World Standard for 'Beer'. One 'bloody nose to the idea of Beer' inflicted by the 'Stella' label would be enough you'd think. No. They do a 'Bock' Style bottled beer that finds it's way into the UK. Horrendously overpriced and in tiny 275ml bottles! Even worse!:cross:

Back