Kimchi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabst Blue Robot

Reaction score
Having discovered that I'm fortunate enough to have a winter farmer's market in Seattle, I've tried my hand at another one of my favorite fermented foods:

Making Kimchi isn't much different than making Sauerkraut from a fermentation standpoint, though it was a lot more work. I shot from the hip on the recipe, there's a huge variety of Kimchi even within Korean tradition. Here's what I used:

2 heads Napa cabbage, stemmed and cut into ~ 2" square peices
1 bunch mustard greens
3 small bunches baby bok choy
5 parsnips, grated
12 radishes, finely chopped
2 heads garlic, finely chopped
1 chunk fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 bunches scallions, chopped
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup korean fresh pepper sauce
1 TBSP kosher salt
1 tsp sugar

1 cup rock salt
1 gallon water

1. Combine 1 cup rock salt and 1 gallon cold water in large pot, disolve.
2. Remove stems, halve cabbages. Seperate leaves and rinse with cold water.
3. Cut up cabbage into strips, and add to brine solution. Soak for 2-3 hours. I massaged it occasionally. I added the other greens here as well.
4. While the greens are brining, prepare your other vegetables in a large (preferably SS) mixing bowl. A food processor would be handy for the garlic and ginger.
5. Mix the ingredients in the bowl with the fish sauce, 1 tbsp salt, sugar, and pepper sauce (or powder). You might want gloves for this, but in either case don't touch your face or anything you'd regret more.
6. Remove the greens from the brine one handful at a time. Rinse well, squeeze to remove as much liquid as you can, repeat a few times, and then mix with the other bowl ingredients. Begin the massaging again.
7. In a clean 1 gallon glass jar, pack the contents of the bowl firmly to avoid air bubbles. Once full, fit the top loosely so that CO2 can escape but mold won't fly in.
8. Leave in a room temp area for about 3 days, then secure lid and put it in the fridge.

The principle is the same as sauerkraut, the lactic acid producing bacteria will thrive in the salty environment and consume the vegetable sugars, converting them into lactic acid and preserving the kimchi. It's fun to watch because you can see the little bubbles forming during the fermentation.

I would advise not fermenting this in the same area that you make or ferment your beer if possible, you don't want these bugs in your brew!

Latest posts

Back