SS braid, copper tube, bazooka tube???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a keggle and have looked through most of the threads about the conversion process but what I am interested in is what works the best for straining the wort out of the keggle?

So which do you use and how has it been working for you?

Thanks

I just have a copper pickup tube with a 90 degree bend, I use hop bags and just drain the whole keggle into the carboys.

If you use pellet hops, they clog up the stainless steel braid, but can sometimes make it through a pipe with holes drilled in it. Kind of a tradeoff.

I use SS braid and use whole hops in my boil. I could see using a hop bag if using pellet hops during the boil. It's all about using techiniques and tools that work for you.

How about a...

"sludge sack" -- wilsonwj

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40738

hop%20filter.jpg

I had a SS false bottom made for my keggle with the copper pickup tube in the middle. It works great for whole hops but I use a hop bag for pellets.

I was using a Bazooka-T in my kettle for the first few brews in it, and it clogged bad. I had to use an immersion chiller (instead of the CFC) and pop the "T" off of there (good thing it wasn't clamped on).
Went to the braid with no issues. I don't remember if I have done a pellet only brew with the braid, but good drainage. The "T" clogged with pelets and with whole/plugs.

Funny. I'd probably be excommunicated or something since the 4 guys coming over are friends from church. Not to mention, the USAF (I'm active duty) tends to frown on that kind of recipe modification. ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Funny. I'd probably be excommunicated or something since the 4 guys coming over are friends from church. Not to mention, the USAF (I'm active duty) tends to frown on that kind of recipe modification. ;)

Recipe modification, that is funny lol

Back