While fermenting, do i need to do anything??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
My October fest beer has currently fermenting for a few days now and I noticed my fermentation lock thing has bubbled so much it has overflown a bit and the water inside it is like a yellow beer color. Is this a good or bad thing?? First time brewer!!

Look up Blow off tube if it is still fermenting that violently of remove and clean airlock if fermentation has subsided...also check the temperature and make sure it is not too warm

none of my brews have been "yellow" that soon, but I haven't done an octoberfest. mine have been tan to dark brown. probably fine though, how does it smell?

ya i guess its more of a tan/brown.. smells like strong beer..i know i messed up a few things like no one at the brew store told me to not dump the hop sludge into fermenter after boiling. it has slowed down bubbling just didn't know if the color should change in the airlock or if it should like bubble over the first 24 hr.

ya i guess its more of a tan/brown.. smells like strong beer..i know i messed up a few things like no one at the brew store told me to not dump the hop sludge into fermenter after boiling. it has slowed down bubbling just didn't know if the color should change in the airlock or if it should like bubble over the first 24 hr.

Dumping the trub (hop sludge) into fermenter will not affect it much, may cause a slight astringency, but it will be fine. You can clean and re-sanitize the airlock & refill with fresh sanitizer or vodka, as long as you do it in a timely fashion, maybe even throw a sanitized paper towel over the hole while you are doing it.

Back