What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeICR

Reaction score
My hops were happy and healthy 'till a few days ago. Leaves started developing holes and drying up. I found the culprit, his picture is bellow. Who is he, where did he come from, and how do I get rid of them? The largest ones are about 2 inches long, brown/black/yellow, furry, and bright green inside (via manual insecticide). I'm in northern Ontario.

-1.jpg

You can try using "Tree Tanglefoot Insect Barrier". If that doesn't work well enough, I've heard that a lot of growers use a product called "BT" to get rid of caterpillers. Let us know what works best for you...

I think Diatomaceous Earth might be a good course of action based on what I have read/heard. It stops insects physically, not chemically. At least that is my understanding. If I where you I would start there before going with anything chemical.

Best advice to date from Gorst Valley Hops: Have a strong Integrated Pest Management plan and be prepared to use it.

That said, I don't know what exactly that is (other than a caterpillar).

Generic google search results:

http://www.safesolutionsinc.com/Diatomaceous_Earth.htm

Back