Assumed Brewhouse Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyjudd

Reaction score
I'm relatively new at all-grain brewing - so if this is a dumb question, apologies in advance.

I usually get my supplies from NorthernBrewer.com. I was about to order a recipe, but then started wondering if brewhouse efficiency was assumed at 100-percent. If it was, then I figured I needed to buy more grain by default as no one actually achieves 100-percent efficiency with a batch sparge.

Steve at Northern Brewer informed me through instant chat that a 75-percent efficiency is assumed (he also mentioned that Rahr 2-row is a great neutral grain for adding to recipes that won't substantially affect flavor).

So, with all the conversation about brewers getting 80+ efficiency, I just thought it was worth asking, can you screw up a recipe with an assumed efficiency of 75-percent by having an overly efficient brewhouse?

I read in one of the threads someone was claiming to have 92-percent efficiency. If you assume only 75-percent, and end up with 92, it seems like you're original gravity would be significantly higher than intended... ?

Back