just kegged - what is approprieate serving temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
So I just kegged my Red Ale - how do i determine the approprieate 'serving temperature' and do I really need to do all that chart stuff compensating co2 pressure for temp or do I just set it at 8psi and leave it....

thanks

I just finished an Irish Red Ale a few weeks back (cry, cry....it was so good). I hooked it up to 12 psi for a week and it was good. I did ease it back to just over 10 when I began drinking to bring the head down a little. By the way, I'm serving mine around 38-40 degrees.

I found this list here:

- Serve fruit beers at 40-50° F.
- Serve wheat beers and pale lagers at 45-50° F.
- Serve pale ales and amber or dark lagers at 50-55° F.
- Serve strong ales, such as barley wines and Belgian ales, at 50-55° F.
- Serve dark ales, including porters and stouts, at 55-60° F.

I keep my fridge at 50° F because it's right in the middle. Since I bottle, I just let the darker beers sit out for a little to warm up before drinking.

I keep my fridge set between 45 and 50 since I mostly serve English style ales. I usually set my regulator to 30psi to let the beer carb for a few days. Once it's ready, I turn the gas off until I need more pressure for serving. Originally I was setting the regulator to 12 psi and just leaving it, but in experimenting with different options I settled on this one. Of course, I am not a big stickler for having the exact right volumes of CO2 for the style or anything like that.

Back