Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clifton said:
Camden alone won't kill the yeast. You need sorbate also. If possible put them all in the fridge.

The recipe doesn't say to use sorbate, is everyone having this problem?

Flavor was fantastic, some of the apple actually seemed to push through more than the first batch... But that's just sampling from primary to secondary to sit for 5 days on spices... Which turned out very good too...

buckeyeintexas said:
Why does the syrup need to be made a day ahead of time?

It really doesn't, just needs enough time to cool...which a day is plenty of time for

Johnny, the recipe is for a carbonated and pasteurized beverage. That is why there is no sorbate.

Gents, I have made this 3 times now. As far as the caramel mixture goes I sit out the 3 cans of FAJC on the counter for an hour or so until it is melted in the can, I then start the caramel sauce, once that is reduced I add in the FAJC and bring back to boil for 5 min or so. Take it off the heat and sit in on a towel inside the fridge to bring it back down to room temp then add it in the secondary. I have not had any problems with it falling out of the mixture using this method. I think by adding in the FAJC it thins it out and mixes in better...Hope it helps!!

fedexA300pilot said:
Gents, I have made this 3 times now. As far as the caramel mixture goes I sit out the 3 cans of FAJC on the counter for an hour or so until it is melted in the can, I then start the caramel sauce, once that is reduced I add in the FAJC and bring back to boil for 5 min or so. Take it off the heat and sit in on a towel inside the fridge to bring it back down to room temp then add it in the secondary. I have not had any problems with it falling out of the mixture using this method. I think by adding in the FAJC it thins it out and mixes in better...Hope it helps!!

Sounds like a great idea, I'll try it when it's time to transfer. I'm only at day 3 in the primary.

Johnny, the recipe is for a carbonated and pasteurized beverage. That is why there is no sorbate.

Actually...the recipe does mention just adding Campden for still cider, it is in the section starting with 'OPTION'. I think something was left out in the excitement of sharing. It happens.

saramc said:
Actually...the recipe does mention just adding Campden for still cider, it is in the section starting with 'OPTION'. I think something was left out in the excitement of sharing. It happens.

In future recipes what would you suggest?

I think with this receipe because of the high sugar content if you want a still cider the campden tabs along with the pasteurization and stored cold should do it. You could add sorbate to insure it but I have made a super sweet cider before with none of the above other then pasteurized and had no problems.

I think with this receipe because of the high sugar content if you want a still cider the campden tabs along with the pasteurization and stored cold should do it. You could add sorbate to insure it but I have made a super sweet cider before with none of the above other then pasteurized and had no problems.

Agreed. Pasteurization cancels the need for sorbate as long as you promptly pasteurize if wanting a still beverage which has been backsweetened with a fermentable. But adding sorbate plus k-meta is the other option for a sweet, still beverage.

Well, my first batch of this is almost gone and I have been asked by several people to make more of it, so I'm calling it a success! Can't wait to get some more juice and get a second batch of this going. I do have one question, has anyone tried steeping cinnamon sticks in grain alcohol to make an extract rather than using powdered cinnamon? I want the flavor but not the cinnamon crud at the bottom of my bottles.

ajohnson153 said:
Well, my first batch of this is almost gone and I have been asked by several people to make more of it, so I'm calling it a success! Can't wait to get some more juice and get a second batch of this going. I do have one question, has anyone tried steeping cinnamon sticks in grain alcohol to make an extract rather than using powdered cinnamon? I want the flavor but not the cinnamon crud at the bottom of my bottles.

I haven't used sticks but I've replaced using powdered cinnamon with cinnamon extract. I found mine at Walmart, made by McCormick.

I will say I bought a bottle of cinnamon oil from Olive Nation and added a drop or two to a bottle and it was amazing. I make my own cinnamon extract using a jar packed full of Ceylon cinnamon and topped off with pure grain, stashed in refrig for at least a month, and then filter when finally ready to use it. It is good, but the cinnamon oil takes it to the 'red hot' level if you want it to. Also used the oil to make the cinnamon toothpicks many of us recall from days gone by.

I will say I bought a bottle of cinnamon oil from Olive Nation and added a drop or two to a bottle and it was amazing. I make my own cinnamon extract using a jar packed full of Ceylon cinnamon and topped off with pure grain, stashed in refrig for at least a month, and then filter when finally ready to use it. It is good, but the cinnamon oil takes it to the 'red hot' level if you want it to. Also used the oil to make the cinnamon toothpicks many of us recall from days gone by.

I'm not trying to take it to the "red hot" level. I just want a better way to get the same amount of flavor that I got with the powder without the gunk at the bottom of the bottles. I might buy some extract and give it a go with that. I figured the alcohol version would be more soluble than an oil. I just need to find an extract that doesn't taste too artificial. That is why I was going to make my own. I might make my own vanilla extract and add some of that too. I think the vanilla would play well with this recipe. So many possibilities. :drunk:

I used mcCormick extract - I'm a purist to, but I think this extract is mostly natural. It did work well in the mix, but I wouldn't be afraid to use more extract as opposed to less, flavor did get a little lost even though syrup was fantastic

I used mcCormick extract - I'm a purist to, but I think this extract is mostly natural. It did work well in the mix, but I wouldn't be afraid to use more extract as opposed to less, flavor did get a little lost even though syrup was fantastic

How much of the extract did you use for your 5+ gallon batch?

I'm not trying to take it to the "red hot" level. I just want a better way to get the same amount of flavor that I got with the powder without the gunk at the bottom of the bottles. I might buy some extract and give it a go with that. I figured the alcohol version would be more soluble than an oil. I just need to find an extract that doesn't taste too artificial. That is why I was going to make my own. I might make my own vanilla extract and add some of that too. I think the vanilla would play well with this recipe. So many possibilities. :drunk:

+ 1 on making your own Vanilla extract. I've been doing that for about 4 years now and am very happy with it!

I made my own extract by putting 6 cinnamon sticks in a large baby food jar (6 oz) and covered with spiced rum for a few weeks at room temperature. When I kegged I filtered the cider with a sterile filter and then dumped the whole 6 oz of cinnamon extract in with my caramel syrup ~ 1/2 lb of 290 degree homemade DAP syrup. In the future I might cut back on the cinnamon extract to 3 oz. as it was pretty cinnamon heavy. I sent it to a competition and it got a 29... With comments being that there was too much cinnamon. But I took the remaining 4 1/2 gallons to a tasting event and they killed the keg in 2 hours, which is pretty cool considering that the samples were only 2 oz each. I will make again and not add as much sugar upfront to keep it closer to average strength, and add the cinnamon extract slowly. Since I keg I can always add a bit more later.

Okay, so life has happened to me... and I have gotten way busy. Is there any issue with this cider if I leave it sit in the Primary fermenter for about 4 weeks before creating caramel mix and bottling? The past 2 times I have made this, I bottled after 2 weeks...

Okay, so life has happened to me... and I have gotten way busy. Is there any issue with this cider if I leave it sit in the Primary fermenter for about 4 weeks before creating caramel mix and bottling? The past 2 times I have made this, I bottled after 2 weeks...

heck no. dried out a bit more is all. got a little more ABV out of it. i was thinking about leaving it longer next time myself, actually.

I always do 4 weeks primary for my ales, and did the same for this one without really thinking about it. Even after backsweetening it, was still quite dry. (but still quaffable) Next time I am going to do 4 weeks, double the priming sugar and bump the AJC back to the original recipie. BTW, i used Nottingtham, not the wine yeast.

The original recipe actually calls for the cider to ferment dry. I have done ciders both ways and prefer to let it go dry. When I stopped fermentation the taste wasn't as good.

About two weeks into drinking my first batch and I must say the recipe is pretty damn awesome. Already started a 2nd batch in primary and the only things I would change is I would dial back the sweetness a little and add a little more cinnamon extract.
I used the caramel syrup and 2 1/2 cans of AJ concentrate to back sweeten and will probably drop that to 2 cans next batch. I also made my own extract(checked 4 stores for premade) and used a little over the 1/2 teaspoon recommended on page 42, but still can't really taste it in the final product so I'll probably bump it up to 1 1/4 teaspoons for the next batch. I used a few ounces of vodka and a good bit if ground cinnamon shaken once a day in a small jar for the "extract".

What was everyone's final gravity, after you added your concentrate and dolce syrup? I'm trying to get an idea what to shoot for.

FWIW, I took a reading on my first "half batch" of this (last year sometime) and posted this:

"There was a question about measuring the SG after adding the syrup and the juice cans. I measured and, at 68 deg it was ~ 1.023. My FG was 1.010 when I racked to the secondary yesterday. But, I had a half batch, I used SLIGHTLY less dextrose and instead of 2.5 cans of juice concentrate, I used just 2."

So, my half batch kicked up .013 points after adding the syrup - but that was based on the original recipe using more FAJC.

mine was 1.014 from a FG of 0.999 after the caramel sauce and 2 1/2 cans of AJ concentrate, but that was a touch on the sweet side for me, will probably do 2 cans + sauce next time

I assume it is, but can anyone comment as to the gluten free nature of this recipe? I am under the impression that as there are no grains it would qualify, but don't really know for sure.

I actually had brewed this for a friend with Celiac's as my first try at cider and he loves it, so without lab analysis I'd say it's ok

My celiac wife has had 2 batches and no reactions... Depending on sensitivity my only concern would be the yeast used... Danstar/lallemand says all their dry yeasts are gluten free, so I'm comfortable using their Nottingham, I'm gonna try their belle saison for my next attempt and shoot for a citrus twinge with some sweet orange peel and maybe coriander...

Made this cider up sat night using notty yeast at 65* and today i noticed this funk on top of the cider. Since I normally brew beer in a conical I never get to see the fluid during fermentation. I have never seen this stuff before so obviously my question is, Is this mold?

wwelid.jpg

Added this to my list of upcoming brews.

One question: if I plan on kegging, is the pasteurization needed or is this JUST to kill the yeast?

I was thinking just use the campden tablets and then force carb.

One question: if I plan on kegging, is the pasteurization needed or is this JUST to kill the yeast?

I was thinking just use the campden tablets and then force carb.

Campden tablets and then force carb, no need to pasteurize. Just make sure the yeast is no longer active. :tank:

Campden tablets and then force carb, no need to pasteurize. Just make sure the yeast is no longer active. :tank:

That is what I thought. I wasn't sure if it also had something to do with the late additions as well

ok, so after reading all 88 pages, it wasn't until post # 862 on page 87 that someone else reported back entering this in a comp. No one else has done this besides USmike? I'll be picking up the ingredients tonight on the way home, looking forward to how it comes out.

6:30 and this is made and in the fermenting closet ( along with 40 gal of various beer/cider). Looking forward to three weeks from now...

Back