Killians Irish Red Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on this one. I have a friend who thinks this is the best, my opinion differs but if i can make it and prove to him homebrew is just as good or better than what he likes we gain another convert to the homebrewing world.

This isn't a clone, but it's an irish red ale (Killians is a lager IIRC), that I really like. It's the best beer I've made to date (I'm on something like my 6th or 7th brew now). Might want to give it a try. I just found it somewhere out there on the web.

Ingredients
7.5 lbs. Extra Light Malt Extract
1/8 oz. Roasted Barley
1.5 lbs 120 L Crystal Malt
1 oz. Northern Brewer Hops (30 Minutes)
1 oz. Tettnang Tettnanger Hops (5 Minutes)
1 oz. Cascade Hops (1 Minute and Steep)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1 pkg. Irish Ale Yeast

Place 2 gallons cold H2O into a kettle and add grains. Bring to 150 degrees and hold for 30 minutes. Heat to 170 degrees and then turn off heat and let set for 30 min. Remove grains and bring to boil. Add extract, and 1st hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add remaining hops per the schedule. With 15 minutes left in the boil add 1 tsp. Irish Moss. Cool down to 75 degrees and pitch yeast. Ferment for 12 days at 50 - 55 degrees. Transfer to secondary and condition for 5 days at 35 to 40 degrees. Bottle or keg beer.

I had Killians a few days back for the first time in quite a few years. It's not a bad beer and I wouldn't mind semi-duplicating it myself.

Back