Beer darkening over time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrisnothing

Reaction score
I've brewed a blonde ale with 100% pale us 2-row. When bottling day came, the beer was crystal clear and very light colored. After two weeks at room temperature 72* it was nicely carbonated and very hazy from chill haze. I drank one at room temperature and it was as light as it was on bottling day and just as clear. The chilled ones were all hazy.

Anyway, it's about 2 months since they were bottled and I've been slowly making may way through them. They're slowly darkening and the chill haze is subsiding. They've gone from slightly darker than a BMC to the color of something like Fat Tire. The taste has improved as its aged. There are no off flavors I can detect. I'm not bothered by the color, but it's not something I've seen before.

Beers usually darken slightly with aging from oxidation. Usually that level of oxidation in a lighter beer would be so overwhelming that you would notice the difference immediately. Oxidation on a rare occasion may cause a honey/sweet flavor in a light brew, but chances are an oxidized light beer will taste like a Monday morning Schlitz that's been sitting on the beerpong table since Friday.

If your blonde looks like a Fat Tire and doesn't taste like cardboard water then you are extremely lucky. You may brew the same batch again, in the same exact method, and the oxidation could cause it to taste absolutely terrible. If you saw that much chill haze and oxidation, you probably didn't cool your wort down quickly or fully. Be careful on your next brew about hot side aeration, chilling your wort, and aeration during bottling. Use the oxygen absorbing caps (after a bottling fiasco with a brown ale, made me a firm believer).

i've had this happen.. my wit has darkened. was golden yellow, and is now gold. just had one today and it hasn't dropped in quality but it has stopped getting better. drink up imo.

Back