Pickled eggs--recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp salt
2 c white vinegar
1 c water
1 tbsp pickling spices

Boil and cool everything that's not eggs, put the eggs in and let sit for at least 24 hours, Enjoy!

They are really simple and yummy. sometimes I put crushed pepper flakes in them to give them a bit of a kick.

Chairman Cheyco said:
12 peeled hard-boiled eggs
1 tbsp salt
2 c white vinegar
1 c water
1 tbsp pickling spices

Boil and cool everything that's not eggs, put the eggs in and let sit for at least 24 hours, Enjoy!

They are really simple and yummy. sometimes I put crushed pepper flakes in them to give them a bit of a kick.

Cool! that looks awesome bro!

Going out to get the pickle spices now....

:)

We used to cheat down at the firehouse. We would take one of those big jars of pickles and save the juice after it was empty. Dump in the hardboiled eggs and let age. A few beers, a few eggs and time to fumigate the house.

My brother (in all modesty, not the brains of the operation) was telling me at Christmas how he had been dared to drink all of the "juice" from a jar of pickled eggs at a bar. When there was ~$200 on the bar he did it and one of the constraints was that he couldn't throw up for 5 minutes...apparently he went 6.

Just something for you guys to think about at the VAgraNCy fest.

Dude said:
Cheyco...I'm curious...why boil the water/vinegar/spices? To dissolve the salt or does it have some kind of other culinary secret going on there?

Beats the heck outta me. I usually bring it to a boil and shut it off right away, just to get the spices hopping and everything married together.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Beats the heck outta me. I usually bring it to a boil and shut it off right away, just to get the spices hopping and everything married together.

Gotcha. Well, these certainly were easy. Just waiting for the spice mixture to cool, then I'm adding the eggs!

Oh, the wonderful aroma!!!!!

2nd Street Brewery said:
We used to cheat down at the firehouse. We would take one of those big jars of pickles and save the juice after it was empty. Dump in the hardboiled eggs and let age.

This is what we do in our house, pickled eggs and picked bologna. just put the eggs in the juice for the ring bologna and it will warm you right up after a cold winter night structure fire or a long meeting night with no dinner.

There was a good episode of Good Eats where he did a lot of pickling - not eggs, but other stuff. He brought everything to a boil, I'm sure to release all the flavors. Maybe there's some isomerization going on :D

SwAMi75 said:
Yeah. :D Good to know, though!

I've never had those--but I was tempted to take the cheap way out and buy that big ass glass bottle of those pink ones. If anything, buy them just for the bottle!

I can't wait until tomorrow to "sample" one! If they are good, I'm going to buy more eggs and make some more, because I know they'll go fast.

For a snack a few minutes ago, I had pickled beets and pickled pike. That reminded me of this- If you can get your hands on pickled beets, eat the beets and then just drop the peeled eggs in the leftover juice. After a couple of days, they're great.

Lorena

I make them all the time. The recipe I use is slightly different - just spirit vinegar (no water or salt) boiled for a few minutes with the pickling spices and when cooled pour over the boiled eggs in a sterilized jar. Seal and store in the fridge for 3 weeks before trying.
Pickled chillies are another favorite of mine, we had a thread on them a while back.

I used to do sake eggs, even simpler. A quart of cheap sake (I would buy the 18L temple boxes), a pint of soy sauce and two dozen hard cooked eggs. Ideally you use quail eggs, but I never found a source in Nevada, so I used the smallest chicken eggs I could find.

Get big jar of Pepperoincines (SP?) boil up about 18 eggs. Eat about half the peppers. Throw in the eggs and about 10 good size pieces of garlic and a pinch of pickling spice. Let sit in the refig for 7-10 days. I like to eat the garlic with the eggs and wash it down with a couple of homebrews....BAMN...look out tomorrow!!

hey LarMoeCur - is the bar/pizza joint called B&J's still in business in Corpus? IIRC it's on the south side of SPID about half way between the base and town, just past Peppers if Peppers is still around

I grew up in a small (400 people) town where the kids went to the bar with their parents on the weekends. I saw pickled eggs all the time growing up and never had the guts to try one until about 6 months ago. IMHO, it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted.

Now tigermeat, that's good bar food.

I'm a huge fan of pickled eggs myself. They compliment a good homebrew perfectly. Now not to hijack your thread or anything, but if any of you have any other recipes to share I started a thread awhile back that didn't seem to take off at the time. Maybe this could help spark it off again. http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17815

Dude said:
LOL!!! These KICK ASS!

I had to try one today--only after 24 hours they are freaking awesome. I'm going out to buy more eggs...talk to you all in a few... :D
Go easy Dude, tasty for sure but eat them once in a while.....

Dude said:
And why is that? SWMBO is deployed to the desert for the next 3 1/2 months! I can eat as many eggs as I want, I'm bach-ing it!!!!!! :D
You'll be okay then!:D

Anyone in Europe notice a slight Sulphur smell? I'm sure I get a hint of it....

Title: PRESERVED DUCK EGGS (THOUSAND YEAR OLD EGGS)
Categories: Eggs, Chinese
Yield: 12 servings

2 c Tea, very strong black
1/3 c Salt
2 c Ashes of pine wood
2 c Ashes of charcoal
2 c Fireplace ashes
1 c Lime
12 Duck egg, fresh

*Available in garden stores and nurseries.

Combine tea, salt, ashes and lime. Using about 1/2 cup
per egg, thickly coat each egg completely with this
clay-like mixture. Line a large crock with garden soil
and carefully lay coated eggs on top. Cover with more
soil and place crock in a cool dark place. Allow to
cure for 100 days. To remove coating, scrape eggs and
rinse under running water to clean thoroughly. Crack
lightly and remove shells. The white of the egg will
appear a grayish, translucent color and have a
gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a
grayish-green color.

The white of the egg will
appear a grayish, translucent color and have a
gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a
grayish-green color.

sorry but sounds like:eek:

Dude, one of my favorite pickled eggs isn't exactly pickled but they are still very good. It's just a couple cans of the pickled jalapenos, the ones with slices of carots and sometimes onions, with however many boiled eggs you want. They can't be left out for too long but they are very good with a bit of salt and a nice cold beer.

SwAMi75 said:
My first batch of a dozen is in the bag, per Cheyco's recipe. :rockin:

They are truly a treat. We killed the rest of mine at VAgraNCy, but Walker was nice enought to peel another load of eggs and I've got them marinating as we speak. I noticed in a sampling that these aren't as flavorful as the first batch--as we just used the "juice" from teh first batch. Therefore, I'll recommend making new stuff for subsequent batches.

And oh....the GAS. OMFG. If SWMBO was here, I'd be divorced. ;)

Pickled eggs? not sure if i have ever had one i know i have had pickled sausage, pickled salmon, pickled jalapenos.

1585l.jpg

Dude said:
They are truly a treat. We killed the rest of mine at VAgraNCy, but Walker was nice enought to peel another load of eggs and I've got them marinating as we speak. I noticed in a sampling that these aren't as flavorful as the first batch--as we just used the "juice" from teh first batch. Therefore, I'll recommend making new stuff for subsequent batches.

And oh....the GAS. OMFG. If SWMBO was here, I'd be divorced. ;)

I'm honored that I could be credited with such an instrument... (or something like that)

:D

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
Pickled eggs? not sure if i have ever had one i know i have had pickled sausage, pickled salmon, pickled jalapenos.

1585l.jpg

I've never had one, either, but I love anything pickled, and I like hard boiled eggs so it stands to reason.....

I am a huge fan of the "red hot" Penrose pickled sausages, too. Never had those Bay View ones, but they look awesome.

All hail pickled junk food and excessive flatulence. :rockin:

It's also good to throw just about any veggie into a jar of old pickle juice. Garlic, brocoli, carrots, and yes, even sliced cucumbers. Or a mix of all of them.

I have a bag of pickled mangos on my desk that a co-worker dared me to eat, but they refuse to bear witness to it, so it just stares at me all day.

Back