Hop Schedule Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hey guys I just ordered some crystal, willamette, and cascade leaf hops from hopsdirect. This will be the first time I've used leaf hops, and my first attempt and a late hop addition american pale ale. I want to try to get some critique on my hop schedule, I'm looking for a moderate lingering bitterness with huge hop flavor. I know cascade isn't the best bittering hop but I'm using what I have on hand. Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me about how to best utilize these hops in this recipe. Here it is...

80% Eff.
5 gallon batch
OG 1.054
FG 1.013
IBU 38.7
SRM 6.8

8.50lb. Marris Otter
0.50lb. Crystal 40

1.25oz Cascade Leaf 5.7AA 60min 23.3IBU
1.25oz Cascade Leaf 5.7AA 15min 11.6IBU
1.25oz Willamette Leaf 4.7AA 5min 3.8IBU
2.00oz Crystal Leaf 3.0AA 0min

US-05 dry yeast

Mash at 151 for 60 minutes.

Thanks again for any info.

I might consider splitting the Crystal and adding 1 oz at flame out and dry hop with the other ounce after fermentation has slowed.

I think it looks good. If you like the dry-hopped character, I would do as JonK331 suggested. I find flameout and dry hop addition aromas to be quite different.

If your doing the flameout route, you can cool down to wort to 190F then let the hops steep for about 30 minutes. Whirlpooling would be perfect if you've got the equipment.

I can do a manual whirlpool, lol. I think I'm going to do one ounce at flameout and one ounce as a dry hop

Latest posts

Back