Pliny not the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
Recently had a few Pliny the Elders and was a bit disappointed with them. I found Hop Stoopid to be much better.

Then I came across this blog post from RRB and wonder if higher production has taken something away from the quality. It lacked the real hop kick I previously noted. The batch I had was brewed end of Feb 2009 so it was not too old.

We Are Brewing as Fast as we Can

It was about a year ago that we started brewing at our new production brewery. A year later we are brewing at 100% capacity and as many of you know we cannot get enough beer to our distributors and accounts. It is a good problem to have, but, it is still a problem. At least the beer is staying fresh though. For the most part, it is Pliny the Elder that we cannot make enough of. It takes 24 days to make a batch of Pliny the Elder, but know that we won’t shorten the amount of time it takes to make our beers. However, we are planning to brew less of other beers which hopefully will allow us to make a little more Pliny the Elder. In time we’ll get caught up (we hope) and we can get back to a decent amount of beer being shipped to each of the markets we distribute in.

In the meantime, we wanted to thank our loyal customers both at our brewpub and out in markets we sell in for supporting us. Without our great customers we wouldn’t be in business! Thanks for all your support as we work through some growing pains.

Oh, and by the way, I’m drinking Blind Pig while I type this instead of Pliny the Elder, that is one more pint of Pliny we can ship out to you!

From what I've read elsewhere, they have been tweaking the bottle runs to hone in on the draft Pliny experience....dunno how accurate that is or not.

I've only had both beers on draft, both have been excellent.

Hard to say... could be.

I have had some beers where batches are not the same... and I have had bottles of great beer which were mistreated and tasted really bad.

Hopefully they are not scrimping on the recipe due to the economy. Some restaurants are doing that.

...It takes 24 days to make a batch of Pliny the Elder...[/I]

Further proof that good, big beers can be ready to consume sooner that we (HB'rs) thought.

...but man...they must pitch a butt load of yeast at cool temps to avoid the early alcohol warmth that I got when I brewed mine. :D

Interesting, I have had Pliny on draught and though the longshot clone thereof was a bit off the mark(but still quite good!). A lot of people say it is as good or better. I wonder if they are comparing to the bottled Pliny.

I have never had it, but I am waiting for the longshot 6 pack to be carried at my beer store. My favorite IPA so far has been three floyd's dreadnaught.

Latest posts

Back