Adding Sugar to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzyfella

Reaction score
I've had a porter in primary for two and half weeks now and have just taken a final gravity reading. It is very weak and I was wondering if I could add some glucouse (dissolved in a little boiled, warm, water) to try and trip start fermentation again and increase the alcohol volume to about 4.5% (currently 3.2%).
Will this cause any problems and how long is it safe to leave in primary as it will be three weeks on Friday?

Many thanks,

Fuzzy

What was your OG and FG? Is this a kit? If so, what were the OG and FG supposed to be? Just want to make sure it is 3.2 before you go adding anything.

Thats part of the problem, my 3 year old son decided to see if he could make snow flakes out of the piece of paper the recipe was on, (luckily I'd scribbled the OG on a little piece of paper that I'd shoved in my brewing info folder) that and the fact that Ive just gotten back from a two week business trip, its kind of a guessing game at this point! As my son would say 'It never rains, but look at the pretty flakes Daddy!'

Do you think I can get away with the extra sugar or will cause problems that my inferior knowledge cannot foresee?

Have you had more success with partial mashes in the past? If this is the first time, I would guess your mash effeciency was low and you just didnt get all you could out of the grain. If you describe your process and equiptment, someone will recomend a better procedure for next time. As to adding sugar, I would just leave it alone and enjoy the beer you made. It will taste good, if you dont have any other probems.

So your son turned a scap of paper into something beautiful, give him a hug and say thanks.

My second partial, I follwed Deathbrewers instructions on partial mashing, tea-bagging for the sparge (twice for fifteen minutes to try and maximise sugar extraction).
I'll give him hug alright. Around his neck 'Homer' style!

my concern is that the OG wasn't actually 1.032.
if this was a kit or an established recipe of some sort, it seems unlikely that the OG would be that low. if you didn't do a full boil (i.e., if you topped up with water before pitching), it's possible that your wort was not well-mixed and your gravity sample was not homogeneous and representative of the entire solution.
just a thought.

If you add sugar, it's going to dry it out further and make it thin. If it were me, I'd enjoy a nice tasty session beer and nail my OG next time I brew it. Lower alcohol in the beer just means you can have a couple more! :D

Back