Sour a previously kegged beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
So, I have a lightly hopped wheat beer that's been kegged/carbonated for awhile now that I'm not really happy with. I've recently discovered sour beers (thank you RRBC) and was wanting to experiment a little. I have some sour dregs I was wanting to play with and am wondering if I can pull out the beer from my keg and pitch the dregs into a carboy with the beer. Given some time (no rush), will the beer start to take on a sour characteristic I'm searching for? I was planing on bottling afterwords (hence the reason for not leaving in the keg.)

Sounds like a fine plan to me. Depending on how dry the beer is already you may not get much sourness, but at a minimum you will get some Brett character.

Unless you need the keg, why not leave it in there and do this?

I'm pretty new to sours but maybe you can use some lactic acid? I'm sure someone else can tell me why it won't work but just throwing out an idea.

Unless you need the keg, why not leave it in there and do this?

I'm pretty new to sours but maybe you can use some lactic acid? I'm sure someone else can tell me why it won't work but just throwing out an idea.

Plain lactic acid literally just makes the beer sour. It doesn't provide any complexity whatsoever.

Would/could I add alittle more fermentables to the beer to increase the sour potential?

Back