7 weeks in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trencher

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish Export some time back, amidst the worst of the late summer heat, and high ambient temps with no fermentation cooling created some pretty strange flavors. Don't think the Scots traditionally brewed with bananas... After moving the beer to secondary I got a bit discouraged with those off flavors and kind of forgot this one while I built a fermentation cooler and brewed more IPA.

Now the Scottish Export has been in secondary for 7 weeks and I'm starting to wonder what it will be like. I want to bottle it this week but have noticed that a lot of yeast has settled out, even collecting along the tops of the carboy's indentations. Should I be concerned about having enough yeast for priming? Or will it just take a little longer to carbonate due to lower yeast levels?
Maybe I should give the carboy a little swirl to get some of that yeast back in suspension?

You will still have enough yeast to carb. I would guess it has cleaned up pretty well. I had an Old ale that fermented too hot. 1.5 months in the secondary and another 3 in bottles and it was a whole new beer.

Back