What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mama Mia's Pizza Beer.
It was so bad when I asked the bartender about it after seeing it he said it was on him if I could actually finished it.
Tasted like Marinara watered down with a light beer. Yums

I think that failed expectations are judged more harshly than just plain bad beers. The stone voodoo is a lark, they knew people would buy it to see how bad it really is, the pizza beer, etc.

I think DFH is run by a cool guy, I like his passion, philosophy and am happy he is making money. I just don't care for his beers, in general. I tolerate the 60 min, but as they progress, I can't put my finger on it, but they all kind of strike me as the flavors are too strong, and not married together. Maybe he uses a house yeast for all of them or something. Or the wrong hops. At the price point, I can't justify trying any more of their beers until I really hear and get the sense that they have done something different.

Definitely Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen. The worst Hefe I ever put in my mouth. I can't even believe that they called it a Hefe.
Also, if you are in the mood for cough syrup, check out Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale. This beer has a nice orange note but that is completely taken over by a medicinal note that makes me wonder if there is a correlation between beer and Robitussin.

O'so 3'rd wheel. Their other beers are good. This tasted like stale ****. Luckily my local liquor store let me exchange it.

This.

Bud%20Light%20Chelada.jpg

I knew it was going to be bad going in. I mean, I like beer and I kinda like Clamato, but holy **** this stuff was positively harrowing.

And this...

61746.jpg

At $2.99 a six pack, I had little illusions. But I was not at all ready for that cloying astringency that caused my throat to spasm (not unlike what Jack Daniels now does to me after years of impropriety).

Sam Adams Triple Bock and Momma Mia Pizza Beer come to mind as some truly repulsive brews. The Triple tasted like soy and molasses. Let's just say that pizza and beer should be mixed in my belly, not during primary.

Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale
reminded me of the "orange drink" McDonald's sold in the 80's.
(do they still have that?)

beer_29160.jpg

Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale
reminded me of the "orange drink" McDonald's sold in the 80's.
(do they still have that?)

Had this once at a bar in a little town in Indiana after a wine festival... The wine was excellent, but this beer absolutely tasted awful (your description is spot on).

I thought at the time that it might have been because of all the wine, but now I see that it may genuinely just be bad. Haven't had the courage to try it since then, in any case.

I guess I am lucky to say that I haven't had to dump any commercial beer down the drain because it was undrinkable. Though I do have some stragglers of different beers here and there that I just don't want to drink.

I really have no taste for the delerium nocturnum and the dogfish head raison d^etra at the moment. I may drink them after I've had a few of other beers and don't have anything left. :)

One thing I'm noticing is a ton of preference, not as much on quality. Not a bad thing or a good thing, just an observation.

For me, my lowest grade at this point would have to go to Cricket Hill, as their commercial stuff tastes to me like my very first batch of homebrew, where among other things, I used very chlorinated tap water and failed miserably to get the temp down for pitching. Now, I haven't tried their stuff many times, and this could be a fluke, but I am not encouraged to try it again.

If there are any Cricket Hill employees here, I apologize for calling it out like that, but I guess if you're in business, you have to have thick skin.

Cismontane Brewing Company's "The Citizen", an attempt at a Cali Common. Clear fermentation problems in this one. This one wasn't preference, it was a downright flaw. Problem existed in two different bottles.

It could have been a batch issue, but it was terrible.

Worst beer I ever had was huma lupa licious from shorts brewery here in Michigan. Made a bet with all my friends that if they can finish 1 12oz bottle ill give them 20 bucks. I still have my 20 bucks.

timrox1212 said:
Worst beer I ever had was huma lupa licious from shorts brewery here in Michigan. Made a bet with all my friends that if they can finish 1 12oz bottle ill give them 20 bucks. I still have my 20 bucks.

Hmm.. It's got a 91 on BeerAdvocate. I think you and your buddies are a bunch of sissies ;) I'd have a delicious IPA and a pizza on you by now.

Man that is one of the best IPAs around. You must not like hops.

I'll take that bet. Came back with a six-pack of it after my last trip to Michigan.

Every time I go back up to Michigan I bring back as many types of Shorts beer as I can, along with requests from my friends here in Tennessee for some if their Pandemonium pale ale. I have yet to find their Locals Light in bottle form.

I don't know how u could like that stuff. Tasted like grass clippings and gasoline to me. But I'm more of a stouts and porters kind of guy.

Olde Burnside Brewing's 10 penny ale. When I travel I love to sample local brews. I bought a pint at a local restaurant in Windsor, CT. May have been a bad batch, or poor storage at the bar but it was flat and tasted like watery paper.

The glass the waitress let me keep was cool though. Purple bottom, fading into smokey glass up top with a long sword horizontal on the side with the brewery name underneath. I like beer glasses that double as conversation pieces

magic hat #9 hands down. that's mostly do in large to the fact that its a fruit beer and i hate fruit beers. if your going to make a fruit beer it should say so on the label and not pass its self of as real beer. Thank you i feel better now. sigh

magic hat #9 hands down. that's mostly do in large to the fact that its a fruit beer and i hate fruit beers. if your going to make a fruit beer it should say so on the label and not pass its self of as real beer. Thank you i feel better now. sigh

Boo! #9 is good to me. Very little apricot flavors as opposed to other overpowering fruit beers like Sam Adams cherry wheat!

I like #9 as well. I don't think the apricot is over powering like, say a Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss.

There's another crap beer to add to the list: Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss. I think it's just rebottled some Bartles & James.

This beer was in the fridge at work. I decided to try just out of curiosity. I would prefer O'douls over this stuff. Absolutely horrible.

image-1742101427.jpg

Somebody earlier in this thread had mentioned the Boatswain Double IPA by Rhinlander Brewery that you buy for like 2.00 at Trader Joe's. I bought a couple of these one time and couldn't finish the first one. The initial taste is a wall of residual sickly malty sweetness followed by a very poor excuse for hop taste. It's an absolutely ghastly beer and I'll just be dumping the second one.

A black wit brewed here in the Houston Texas area, by No Label Brewery. It tasted like chewing on straight black licorice. Maybe it was me, cuz I hate licorice, but it had no subtlety, no nuances, nothing but licorice. The rest of their stuff is good, though.

Blue Hills brewery Watermelon wheat beer. Tasted like a liquid Jolly Rancher. Sickenly sweet. I normally would never buy any watermelon ale to begin with, but I sell booze in retail and try things I normally wouldn't so I can inform my customers. On this note, Opa-Opa's watermelon ale wasn't half bad. At least it tasted like beer. ( both local MA micro- brews).

On a whim, I once bought an 8-pack of Lazy Mutt Farmhouse Ale at a store in Wisconsin. Tasted like flat Budweiser that had been left open too long on a hot day, and it had this musty, old sock smell to it. I tried, but just couldn't get more than halfway through a glass of it. I gave a bottle to my BMC-drinking neighbor to try, and one sip was all he could stand. Nasty swill.

A toss up between Horse Piss Beer from Bluegrass Brewing Co or McTarnahans Full Bloom Craft Lager.

Hands down the worst beers I've ever drank. Horse Piss tastes like... Well let's just say they can't be guilty of false advertising. And Full Bloom tasted like watered down nail polish remover. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Luckily I didn't pay for either of them.

A toss up between Horse Piss Beer from Bluegrass Brewing Co or McTarnahans Full Bloom Craft Lager.

Hands down the worst beers I've ever drank. Horse Piss tastes like... Well let's just say they can't be guilty of false advertising. And Full Bloom tasted like watered down nail polish remover. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Luckily I didn't pay for either of them.

They make a beer called Horse Piss Beer? that is hilarious. I need to find a bottle of that, just to show people and laugh....

I had to try it, I couldn't resist. Strong maple aroma. Not good, but not as bad as I expected.

I bought a bottle too. We're going to try it next Saturday during our Zombie Dust clone session. If it's not that great, I'm glad I'll have some friends to share the displeasure with. :tank:

Somebody earlier in this thread had mentioned the Boatswain Double IPA by Rhinlander Brewery that you buy for like 2.00 at Trader Joe's. I bought a couple of these one time and couldn't finish the first one. The initial taste is a wall of residual sickly malty sweetness followed by a very poor excuse for hop taste. It's an absolutely ghastly beer and I'll just be dumping the second one.

I have to agree, as I had the same experience. I was given a bottle along with their regular ipa and their "hlv". The last one was tolerable, but the double was disgusting.

I had to try it, I couldn't resist. Strong maple aroma. Not good, but not as bad as I expected.

Tried it yesterday at the Tupelo Craft Beer Festival. Tasted like really horrible pancakes. But not the worst i have tasted

A black wit brewed here in the Houston Texas area, by No Label Brewery. It tasted like chewing on straight black licorice. Maybe it was me, cuz I hate licorice, but it had no subtlety, no nuances, nothing but licorice. The rest of their stuff is good, though.

I haven't tried the black wit, but their Ridgeback Amber Ale is uncommonly good.

Worst commercial craft brew (excluding anything with the name "Budweiser" in it, of course) I've had so far is the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. 3 sips and I poured it down the kitchen sink drain. Maybe it's just not my style.

Back