Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me they didn't like Three Floyd's Gumballhead ( amazing Amarillo hopped American Wheat for those who don't know) because it tastes too much like "gumbballs". I informed them it was named so after the comic character on the label and no gumbballs are in the beer, but they stuck to their story... Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Someone told me they didn't like Three Floyd's Gumballhead ( amazing Amarillo hopped American Wheat for those who don't know) because it tastes too much like "gumbballs". I informed them it was named so after the comic character on the label and no gumbballs are in the beer, but they stuck to their story... Oh well

Oh, the abounding stupidity in this world. It's becoming an epidemic!

Better not let him try Zombie Dust...

Someone should start a "funny things you've overheard on Fox News" thread. I think it could catch up to how long this thread is.

Just post the daily transcription.

Exactly.

This isn't something I overheard, but it was nice to chat with a brewer from Oakshire Brewing about the funny things we overhear about beer.

I'll start!

oh.... wait.

15023_1437823989328_7482955_n.jpg

Sadly, there isn't enough funny stuff on the Daily Show to make it worth the wait.
I did hear a CNN anchor ask if the missing 777 was swallowed by a black hole. And he was serious! That might be beer-related, because if he wasn't drunk he's stupid!
And now back to our regular programming:
I learned that canned Sierra Nevada is "bottle conditioned".

Sadly, there isn't enough funny stuff on the Daily Show to make it worth the wait.
I did hear a CNN anchor ask if the missing 777 was swallowed by a black hole. And he was serious! That might be beer-related, because if he wasn't drunk he's stupid!
And now back to our regular programming:

I hate to well actually...well...actually...on any occasion. But it could be possible. Theoretically, miniature black holes exist and could pass through earth. The mysterious Siberian explosion in the early part of the 20th century has been theorized by some astronomers as having been caused by one of those black holes.

Still...not very likely.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Made a 4% Kolsch not too long ago for my BMC friends. Had a friend of a friend over and offered him one. He finished it, complimented me on the taste, and then went back to drinking Natty Ice because "he didn't want to get drunk off the strong stuff." Not sure if he was trying to be polite or if he just didn't get it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

That goes to the uninformed assumption that all homebrew is strong. I've heard it too: "I like it, but I shouldn't have more than one." or "You homebrew because you can make really strong beer, right?"

I hate to well actually...well...actually...on any occasion. But it could be possible. Theoretically, miniature black holes exist and could pass through earth. The mysterious Siberian explosion in the early part of the 20th century has been theorized by some astronomers as having been caused by one of those black holes.

Still...not very likely.

Love the "well actually-s".
I thought the Siberian incident was thought to be an exploding meteor or ice?
The "expert" that was asked about the black hole replied that even a small one would pull in our entire universe. I hope she meant solar system. Maybe they drank together. Since they were on TV, I assume it was light beer!
:D :mug:

Love the "well actually-s".

I thought the Siberian incident was thought to be an exploding meteor or ice?

The "expert" that was asked about the black hole replied that even a small one would pull in our entire universe. I hope she meant solar system. Maybe they drank together. Since they were on TV, I assume it was light beer!

:D :mug:

Man I need to watch this interview! The universe? Good lord. And yes, they're fairly certain that the Tunguska explosion was a meteorite. But some astronomers/physicists theorized that it could have been a miniature black hole. My big question was always, "Why didn't we have an explosion of the same magnitude on the opposite side of the planet where the miniature black hole exited?"

But I'm no physicist.

Someone should start a "funny things you've overheard on Fox News" thread. I think it could catch up to how long this thread is.

Likewise someone should start a "completely moronic things you've over heard on all news channels minus fox". Oh wait their ratings are so low I doubt finding someone who actually watches them is even possible.

Likewise someone should start a "completely moronic things you've over heard on all news channels minus fox". Oh wait their ratings are so low I doubt finding someone who actually watches them is even possible.

If you're claiming that popular equals good, I would like to present Nickleback and Toby Keith as counter points.

Seriously, though. All cable news is crap, Fox News included.

I gabe away 6 bombers of a batch that I thought tasted too much like corn. Everybody add work complimented how crisp and clear it was, how smooth it went down, and how un-hoppy it was

If you're claiming that popular equals good, I would like to present Nickleback and Toby Keith as counter points.

Seriously, though. All cable news is crap, Fox News included.

Clarifying that like a little. All cable news is crap. When the enquirer breaks a story about John Edwards affair and love child and noone covers it AND it turns out to be true? That point is proven lol. But seriously some of Toby and nicklebacks early stuff was good.

Clarifying that like a little. All cable news is crap. When the enquirer breaks a story about John Edwards affair and love child and noone covers it AND it turns out to be true? That point is proven lol. But seriously some of Toby and nicklebacks early stuff was good.

I always laugh when Fox News touts itself as "The highest rated news network for xx years running." When in fact, if you compare it to any non-news channel, it's programming is getting trounced by old reruns of South Park and the like.

Same goes for the rest. They are all terrible.

They all have their own agenda, knowing what is news and what is manufactured BS is sometimes difficult.

I hadn't started homebrewing last summer when I went on the tour, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy because some of the terms were just jargon to me at the time, but I'm pretty sure they said exactly that on the SN tour.

Of course, if you're nitpicky, you could say it's "can-conditioned", but calling the cans "bottle-conditioned" is just an appropriation of a recognized term to simplify things so they can say their beer is all bottle-conditioned.

If I made a high-gravity, unhopped wort, put it in mason jars, and pressure-cooked them for however long, wouldn't you say I "canned" my starter wort, even though I put it in jars instead of cans?

You could argue that "canning" is a term for preserving foods in small containers by way of subjecting the sealed packaging to heat and/or pressure, regardless of the actual container. SN could argue that "bottle-conditioning" is a term for carbonating packaged beer by way of a controlled secondary fermentation in the package, regardless of the package.

Idk. When I do it in a keg, I term it "naturally carbonated". English is a HUGE language and there is always a term that means exactly what you mean.

Idk. When I do it in a keg, I term it "naturally carbonated". English is a HUGE language and there is always a term that means exactly what you mean.

This is true, and using "bottle-conditioned" to talk about cans is a bit silly, but it seemed a bit of a reach in the thread that produces gems like (not actually quoting) "beer is made by fermenting malted barley with flowers called hops," "when I want to get hammered quick, I reach for a Guinness," and, "porters are just watered-down stouts."

Wait, that last one was me just a couple years ago... Crap. Live and learn.

I always laugh when Fox News touts itself as "The highest rated news network for xx years running." When in fact, if you compare it to any non-news channel, it's programming is getting trounced by old reruns of South Park and the like.

Same goes for the rest. They are all terrible.

And yet they still trounce all other news channels combined for xx years running.

Back