Storing Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdwill99

Reaction score
I have some liquid yeast (White Labs' "California Ale Yeast") that I got a few weeks ago. I am about to brew but just noticed that the label states to refrigerate it while storing. However, I had been storing it in a kitchen drawer. The temperature in my apartment tends to be warm--about 80 degrees. Is it still okay to use?

Being a liquid yeast,you'll have to make a starter for it anyway. But next time,always put your yeasts in the fridge. I keep mine in the butter cubby on the fridge door. LME's also go in the fridge. Hop packets in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Things stay fresher that way. And be careful openning the yeast vial. They have co2 pressure in them from the yeast like a 2L soda bottle. Just crack the lid a little to release some of the pressure. When it looks like it's going to spew,close it. Repeat till the pressure is gone,then open. You won't loose a ton of yeast this way.

Thank you! And are you sure I need a starter (not even sure, really, what that is)? My recipe doesn't say anything about one. It just tells me to throw the yeast right into the wort. (I got the recipe and ingredients all together in a package.)

Yeah,most people on here who use liquid yeast make a starter for it to boost cell count,as they're less than in a packet of dry yeast. Think of it as a mini beer. There should be info on starters at the top of the forum in the stickies. You can even got to Midwest's site,find the exact yeast you have,& look at the manufacturer's details on it.

Using a fresh vial, stored correctly, and you would probably get away with straight pitching. 3 weeks at 80 F, and you will loose some yeast vaibility (some of the cells will have died). You really need to make a starter to ensure yeast viability and replace the dead cells.

Mrmalty.com is a good source for yeast and starter information. You can make a beer by just pitching the vial. That is, if the gravity is not too high. Even then it will ferment and you will get beer. It is just that likely there will be unwanted flavors.

Since your yeast was stored too warm for a fairly long time I would recommend the starter.

Back