bad wyeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
I brewed a Slobber yesterday and a couple hours before I activated my wyeast, it expanded but not completely but I pitched it anyway, I figured it did expand so it should be ok but after 24 hours not a bubble from the airlock. I know airlock activity does not indicate fermentation but If it was fermenting shouldnt it be putting out c02??? ok so if I get more yeast is it ok to just pitch it or do I need to areate again? I got the kit from NB and I called when the kit arrived as I was concerned with the wyeast arriving hot with a spent icepack they said it would be fine

24 hrs is a little soon to tell if your yeast is bad. The pak doesn't have to fully expand and doesn't indicate bad yeast. I'd wait 72 hrs and take a gravity reading, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I had the same problem - smacked the pack, and no swelling. It expanded a tiny bit, but I'm thinking it could just be the fact that it was getting warmer after being in the fridge.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a new one yesterday. Smacked it at home, and within 2 hours it was swollen like a balloon. Pitched it, and haven't checked it since.

Shame really, those things are expensive. Borderline rip-off, really. I might contact wyeast and see if they'll hook me up, even though it probably wasn't their fault in the first place. Never know...

well, fermentaion was a little later than I usually get but it has started phewwww! Ive brewed about 10 batches so far so I am a noob, apparently an impatient one as well.

The countless times i've used the smackpacks, one bit of info i can pass on is sometimes they swell so much i think they might pop, and other times they dont swell at all. But no matter what, i have always gotten a fully active fermentation. dont sweat it.

If you make a starter for the yeast the day (if you use a stir plate) or two (if you don't) before your brew day, you'll KNOW the yeast is ready to get to work. Since I've been making starters on a stir plate, I have active fermentation sign within 6-12 hours, with full activity in under 24.

I get my yeast locally ONLY... Not to knock getting it shipped to you, but at least I have someone I can get in front of, with a pack that doesn't swell (if I ever get one) and get a replacement right there. I just used a pack from mid July this past Saturday, with a starter (made Friday evening) and the pack swelled up before I pitched it into the starter (within a couple of hours of smacking it, and confirming the nutrient pack was popped).

You should be able to keep the Wyeast packs viable, in your fridge, for six months (maybe longer). So, maybe order up several during the cooler months (but not cold enough to freeze them in transit) and stockpile them. I still have two packs in the fridge, one of them is the 1882-PC strain. I plan on using it in my next batch and expect to have zero issue with doing so. I might make my starter a bit earlier than usual, but probably not.

Another item that could be giving the yeast a serious leg up... Oxygenate with pure O2... Check out the threads about doing so...

it says right on the pack that it might not swell and that you don't have to smack it at all before use. anyway...

Back