First Beersmith Free Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enricocoron

Reaction score
So after about 5 original recipes I decided to just wing one...just go down to the old LHBS without a list and wing it. Heres what I ended up doing

10 lbs pale 2 row
1.5 lbs. German Wheat malt
1.5 lbs. Vienna
.75 lbs. Aromatic
.5 lbs. Cara pils

Mashed at 150...was going for it and it it exactly by 'feeling' out the temp I wanted to heat my water too (I think it was 165 when I added it to the tun)....added a dash of gypsum to the water...a pinch of bicarb, and a sprinkle of Epsom salt.....

Did a FWH with an oz of east kent goldings....did a 60 min boil and hopped as follows

45 min - 1 oz northern brewer
30 min - .5oz Cascade/.5oz east kents
15 min - .5 oz Cascade/.5oz Chinook
5 min - 1 oz Cascade

oh and threw a whirfloc at 10 to go.

pitched with coopers ale yeast- will ferment at 70-72 then dry hop five days 2 oz. of fresh cascade cones....then will drop an oz. of the the cascades into the keg.

OG was 1.070 and I plugged it into Beersmith this morning and got about 7 SRM and 56 IBU.....so I guess it's kind of an IPA but I may water it down to fill the keg to the brim so I'm guessing it'll end up more like 1.062 OG equivalent and 45-50 IBUs so just about a pale ale but with Coopers yeast. Some aussie breweries use these american hops to make pales and they use our west coast yeasts...just wanted to see how it would come out with their yeast. may try to make a hybrid strain at some point.

Sounds yummy. I like winging it myself and just coming up with recipes. I dont own any sort of software and my beers have all turned out really well. I might eventually invest in it, but for now, I enjoy just making up recipes.

For every brew I have made so far I have made recipes with software, and then forgot to bring a list to the brew store with me. They all turned out pretty good. I did take the time to calculate my IBU's before I brewed though just to make sure I didn't go too far out of the style I wanted.

Back