Carbonation vs head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmacmil

Reaction score
My last two batches (a wheat beer and an amber ale) have not produced much head when poured. The carbonation level seems fine when drinking. The batch before the last two, a Sierra Nevada-clone, had a tremendous head even when poured gently.

Is head a function of carbonation or is it dependent on the type of beer. FWIW, all 3 kits were from Austin Homebrew Supply and I followed the instructions to the letter with all of them. The beers all tasted great.

Carbonation is just CO2, which of course you need for foam. But if your glass isn't super clean, or the recipe did not have many unfermentable proteins, you might not get much head retention, even if you have adequate carbonation.

I have started adding about 1/2 lb of Carapils or Carafoam (dextrine) to my beers that have poor head retention. Works like a charm.

It also doesn't add any noticeable color or flavor to the beer.

I didn't have any Carapils when I wanted to make a cream ale so I substituted oatmeal. The beer never clears but the head on a glass was fantastic with great lacing all the way down the glass. I only made a half batch, wish I had made a double batch instead because it's all gone now and I don't have time to brew until fall.

Don't cry too much for me, that wasn't my only beer, just my favorite. I still have 10 varieties to keep me drinking this summer.

I've been doing extracts with a couple mods. Ha,mods,there I go with the tuner guy usage again. I've been doing pre-hopped cans as a base,with 3lbs plain DME & a few hop additions. My last ale has nice carbonation,but gives great head. Much like the doppel bock that gave me the idea for it. So,I'm guessing the fact that on that brew,I didn't boil any of the malts,just did a hop tea in the BK before adding the malts gave a lot of soluble proteins to the brew. No sugars were added. The head had fine,velvety bubbles.
This time,I boiled all 3lbs of the DME for a total of 25mins for the 3 hop additions,hoping for better utilization as I've read here. Not to mention,getting some o2 caps for the bottles. I hope these changes will make the flavors last longer as well.:mug:

Back