Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Reaction score
After researching beer contamination for several hours, I can't seem to find anything that meets my criteria.

I'm working with a canned extract. The beer has been in the primary for a week now. Today I went to check it's progress with a hydrometer and noticed an off smell. It smells almost like wine. It has a sour taste and foamed up pretty bad. Any thoughts?

After researching beer contamination for several hours, I can't seem to find anything that meets my criteria.

I'm working with a canned extract. The beer has been in the primary for a week now. Today I went to check it's progress with a hydrometer and noticed an off smell. It smells almost like wine. It has a sour taste and foamed up pretty bad. Any thoughts?

Leave it be. Some fermentations stink and produce perfectly fine beer.

A lot of hydro samples are pretty nasty, sour and taste like wine or vinegar. Think about it- you're drinking warm, flat beer. Ever try warm, flat beer? On top of that, it's only a week old.

Back