Input on a smoked red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a smoked red beer. I was first planning on making a normal red, probably based on this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/quaffable-irish-red-all-grain-scrappers-98524/

And then I bought some Briess Cherry smoked malt because it sounded good and it smells FANTASTIC. I was thinking to substitute half a pound of pale with the smoked malt, that would get me near 5% of the grain bill. I'd prefer the smoke to be pretty mild but not dominating. Should 5% work? Should I alter any of the rest of the grain bill?

I'm planning to substitute bullion for the bittering hops aiming for around 25 IBU, sovereign for the final hops, and using a starter of fresh pacman. Comments? Thanks.

I think you could probably take it up to a full pound without making it overpowering.

I agree. Sounds fantastic but I would bump the cherrywood smoked malt. From what I have used it is not as powerful as other smoked malts. I used a pound in a stout and really got nothing from it. Good luck

Thanks! I just tasted the sweet wort with a pound in it and smoke wasn't my first taste. Actually I forgot what beer I was making before I tasted it, and after a few more sips the smoke make an appearance but very mild. Should be good! Might use a bit more next time.

I finally tasted this one today while racking to the keg. The smoke was not too strong on its own, but it did seem to steal the show from the "red" part of it. Perhaps half a pound would have been more what I was looking for. I'll see what its like after its cold and carbed.

Brewed 7/21/10, its been sitting around in a chilled keg for months and I haven't touched it much because I felt it was too smoky. I tapped it again today. Its nice! The smoke has faded back behind the rest of the tastes and its pretty good right now. I'm going to put it on tap after I kick 1/2 gal of octoberfast. I'd consider making it again, probably less smoked
malt if I wanted to drink it sooner, because how it tastes right now is what I was desiring when I made it.

Having brewed more compelling things, this beer didn't really get onto a serious tap position until today. Its obviously aged more, and tastes wonderful! I think the chocolate malt is coming through and balancing nicely with the minor smoke flavor and I think it will be something I look forward to drinking. Only been 15 months since I brewed it? :)

Back