Cold Condition or Warm Condition Belgian Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in cold conditioning. I cold crash and cold condition all of my beers. I also force carbonate all my beers. I recently have been wrestling with the thoughts of my belgian beers and big beers. Even though I have award winning belgian recipes, would it be more appropriate to warm condition my dubbel, trippel, and golden strong? Would warm conditioning bring out different flavors? As I write this post, I also wonder that if I cold condition, say my dubbel, if I were to naturally carbonate it in bottles, would I also then add some yeast at bottling, if the yeast was settled out in secondary?? hmm...

Here are some thoughts from what I've read in "Brew Like a Monk":

1) A number of breweries cold condition their Dubbels & Tripels in lagering tanks.
2) Many reconstitute yeast for bottle conditioning as the aforementioned lagering period will drop most yeast out of suspension.
3) Refermentation in the bottle will bring out some esters that may not have been present otherwise in the initial fermentation.

On a personal note, I bottle condition all my beers (lack of kegging equip) and warm condition them with great success. Give it a try if nothing else.

Back