What wine kit or wine for long term ageing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smee44

Reaction score
I am getting married in a couple of weeks and just had a grand idea this morning. I should brew a wine for the wedding… Just kidding.

I would like to start a wine in the next month and have it as an anniversary wine each year. So obviously it will need to age very well. Considering the last bottle could be aged for 25-30 years. I think this would be a cool tradition if you will.

I have experience making cheap concentrate kits, Welch’s wines, a couple county wines, and many beers. So I think I can handle any style with the proper instructions to follow. I plan on researching and reading plenty before I jump in and brew this, but thought I would just throw the idea out here to get started.

From my very quick reading it seems that wines with the following qualities age well:
1. Relatively high alcohol content probably ~13-15%
2. High Tannins
3. Low pH
4. High acidity

To be completely honest my knowledge of wines and styles is limited. So I am really shooting from the hip with this idea. Links and such are appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

No suggestions? What if I ask what kit has the best shelf life?? "Cellaring" @50-65, in my basement depending on time of year

I know this is the wine forum, but have you considered maybe making a mead or a pyment (grape juice and honey)? With as little as 15 lbs of honey and maybe 2 gallons of grape juice you can ferment out to at least 14-15% ABV, the tannins in the juice will help for aging and the high ABV will allow for long term aging. (made properly meads have been known to last 60 years!)

2ndGen, No I hadn't considered a mead, that is a good idea. I will start to research that. Open to anymore comments and suggestions.

Back