What temp is safe to aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREMBLE

Reaction score
Just a quick question as have almost completed my first extract boil, I have only used prehopped extract kits before now.

I am trying to cool my wort so I can transfer it to the primary and pitch my yeast, I know it needs to be 20-25C for the yeast but what temp is acceptable for splashing it around? It is currently at around 50C and it has been an hour since I removed the heat.

Cheers for any help!

TREMBLE said:
Just a quick question as have almost completed my first extract boil, I have only used prehopped extract kits before now.

I am trying to cool my wort so I can transfer it to the primary and pitch my yeast, I know it needs to be 20-25C for the yeast but what temp is acceptable for splashing it around? It is currently at around 50C and it has been an hour since I removed the heat.

Cheers for any help!
If I recall correctly, you want it to be under 100°F (38°C) before you aerate.

How are you cooling the wort? You're really in the danger zone right now for bacterial infection. You really need to get to pitching temp ASAP, whether that means doing an ice bath (making sure to add more cold water and ice fairly frequently), or getting an immersion chiller, or whatever. Faster chill means both less time for bacteria to find out about the party, and also should result in a better cold break.

Thanks for the quick reply! It seems to be taking forever to cool, guess I need to go get a wort chiller as well!

TREMBLE said:
Thanks for the quick reply! It seems to be taking forever to cool, guess I need to go get a wort chiller as well!

If you're not doing full boils, you don't need a chiller. Add ice made from boiled water directly to your wort. That's the fastest and easiest way to cool a partial boil.

Before I got the chiller, I would cool my partial boils in an ice bath to about 90 degrees (takes about fifteen minutes), then top off with chilled water. The ice idea works as well. Chillers are nice, but not absolutely required until the volume you are chilling is too big for an ice bath and the amount of top-off water is either zero or very little (so you can't add ice).

This is my first boiling brew and I boiled about 15L, then added 8L of pre boiled water that had been cooling, though it was still warm.

I am trying the ice bath thing but my boiler is a BruHeat electric boiler and as it has simmerstats and plug attatchments on the outside I am not very happy to get those wet, as a result only the bottom few inches is submerged in the cold water, and it is not working to well.

Well it finally hit 38C so I started pouring it from the boiler into the primary, but the tap got blocked with hops so I had to do a big pour to get the rest into my primary. Lol this is alot harder than using pre-hopped kits!

At least after the giant pour I dont need to worry about extra aeration! Still not low enough to pitch my yeast but at least I can close it off from any airborne nasties until it cools a bit more! Thanks for the quick help guys!

Back