Great Holiday Ale Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any suggestions or input on the questions I posted recently:

-The color/condition of the apples on the surface
-7 days from the time the yeast was pitched or was there a gravity change that prompted the move to the secondary
-5 gallon carboy good for a secondary with more fermentation?

Looks to me like the apples just have some yeast/krausen mud on em, should be fine.
7 days seems to be a good average point to where the CO2 out of the air lock calms down. I always wait for the main off-gassing of CO2 to stop before racking into secondary. Shouldn't get much krausening in the 2ndary, but always be ready with some racking tube and a pitcher half full of water as a blow-off valve just in case.

Looks to me like the apples just have some yeast/krausen mud on em, should be fine.
7 days seems to be a good average point to where the CO2 out of the air lock calms down. I always wait for the main off-gassing of CO2 to stop before racking into secondary. Shouldn't get much krausening in the 2ndary, but always be ready with some racking tube and a pitcher half full of water as a blow-off valve just in case.

I'll need to pick up one of those carboy caps with two ports for the airlock and blow off hose then as I just have stoppers drilled for airlocks.

I think I'm going to wait an extra day or two then until things appear to slow down a bit more. Without having any idea of what the gravity readings should look like, I'm not sure what I would gain from drawing a sample.

Took a grav reading today. Brew'd on the 18th, OG: 1.083, and am at 1.040 five days later. WL001 fermenting at an average of 65'f. If you've been brewing since the 14th, you might be ready for a 2ndary racking, but its not a do or die. Some people don't even use a 2ndary.

Took a grav reading today. Brew'd on the 18th, OG: 1.083, and am at 1.040 five days later. WL001 fermenting at an average of 65'f. If you've been brewing since the 14th, you might be ready for a 2ndary racking, but its not a do or die. Some people don't even use a 2ndary.

My OG wasn't that high, but I still have honey and cider to add. I'm going to be out near my LHBS store tomorrow for work and I need to pick up a pound of DME to replace one I scavenged from a kit. I'll grab one of those carboy caps and probably rack it tomorrow evening.

I snapped a couple more pictures. The apples are definitely being consumed, at least the slices below the surface.

Primary-7days_1.jpg

Primary-7days_2.jpg

LHBS guy suggested leaving everything, apples and all, in the primary and adding the honey and cider on top of what's already in the primary. Is there any benefit to racking off the apples? I can't rack this to a 5 gallon carboy since it's 5 gallons of wort, plus 1/2 gallon of cider, and the honey. It won't fit in a 5 gallon. Also, he thinks the fermentation is going to roar with all the honey.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, concerns?

LHBS guy suggested leaving everything, apples and all, in the primary and adding the honey and cider on top of what's already in the primary. Is there any benefit to racking off the apples? I can't rack this to a 5 gallon carboy since it's 5 gallons of wort, plus 1/2 gallon of cider, and the honey. It won't fit in a 5 gallon. Also, he thinks the fermentation is going to roar with all the honey.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, concerns?

No concerns at all man, it is REALLY hard to screw beer up. Let her ride.

I warmed the cider enough to dissolve/mix the honey and set the pot outside with a lid on it to cool. After it's closer to the temp the wort is at now I'll funnel the cider and honey into the carboy.

I'm tempted to grab a sample before the honey/cider for a gravity reading and then trying to mix it a bit without oxygenating it and then getting another gravity reading.

I tried to get a sample for gravity readings, but the surface of the beer was too far from the top of the carboy and the turkey baster didn't reach. I didn't worry about a reading after adding the honey and cider since it wasn't mixed at all as I just poured it in through a funnel.

It's been about 4 hours since the addition and the beer is definitely reacting. More bubbles on the surface, more krausen, and the appearance of the "churning" below the surface is significantly more vigorous. Another thing that is probably a factor is the increase in temperature. With the temps only getting into the 40s during the day, I decided to get the woodstove going and the downstairs is about 4-6 degrees warmer than it has been. So the temp of the beer has gone from about 64-68 to 68-70. I moved the carboy back into the closet where it should be a bit cooler and stay around the 68* mark.

I picked up a cap that allows for a blow off hose, but I don't have that on right now. I'm going to check it in a few hours and see how it looks.

Primary-8daysnow4hoursafteraddinghoneyandcider.jpg

Haven't needed the blow off hose yet...24 hours after cider and honey addition. I don't plan on doing this every 12 hours for the life of the beer, just thought since this recipe seems to be constantly being tweaked, feedback would be appreciated. And I have to admit, I'm enjoying the first time use of a carboy.
Primary-24hoursafterciderandhoney_1.jpg

Primary-24hoursafterciderandhoney_2.jpg

wow crazy. so are you thinking it's better to just keep the beer in the 6 gallon primary rather than racking to 5 gallon secodary when throwing in the cider/honey?

wow crazy. so are you thinking it's better to just keep the beer in the 6 gallon primary rather than racking to 5 gallon secodary when throwing in the cider/honey?

It's not that I was thinking it was better, it's that it wouldn't fit in a 5 gallon. Think about it, 5 gallons of wort, plus apples, and then add a half gallon of cider and 2 lbs of honey. It's probably close to 6 gallons of volume with the apples still in there. With the increased vigor of the fermentation after adding the cider and honey, a 5 gallon definitely wouldn't work. If you racked it off the apples before adding the honey and cider, a 6 gallon would probably work well, but the only carboys I have are 5 gallon and a single 6.5 gallon.

At this point, I don't think I'm going to need a blow off hose. It's still chugging along nicely, but the foam seems to have stopped growing.

Looking good JTK.

I racked to 2ndary fermenter at 6 days. (it just worked out that way due to my schedule). I left out the apples in the 2ndary, and racked the beer onto the 1/2 gallon of cider. Taste was really still too sweet and gingery for me. I'm sure time will fix this as fermentation continues. She's still bubbling the airlock a few times a minute.

Side note, I did take a bite out of one of the apples at day 6, and their sugars were gone. It was like eating starch, w/ green apple skin on the outside. Crazy!

Good Malt/Ginger/Cinnamon and Apple nose for sure, its all there sofar.

Looking good JTK.

I racked to 2ndary fermenter at 6 days. (it just worked out that way due to my schedule). I left out the apples in the 2ndary, and racked the beer onto the 1/2 gallon of cider. Taste was really still too sweet and gingery for me. I'm sure time will fix this as fermentation continues. She's still bubbling the airlock a few times a minute.

Side note, I did take a bite out of one of the apples at day 6, and their sugars were gone. It was like eating starch, w/ green apple skin on the outside. Crazy!

Good Malt/Ginger/Cinnamon and Apple nose for sure, its all there sofar.

I wonder if the apples will be worth tasting when fermentation of the honey and cider is complete. Are you planning on leaving it in the secondary for a full 4 weeks?

Is the fermentation of the honey/cider supposed to take 4 weeks or will it be 4-7 days like typical wort and then it's supposed to age for a few weeks?

Fermenting off the honey/cider shouldn't take 4 weeks at temps between 60-65'f (room temps). I was at 1.040 when I racked the beer into 2ndary onto the cider. Just checked it this am, 4 days later, I'm at 1.048. Cider added some sugars for sure, and with it, ABV! Tasted the sample I used for the refractometer. I'm not sure what it is, but its got a wierd taste to it still...hoping it ferments/ages out. Maybe its too much ginger? Smells great, but its just got a weird tinge' to it.

My plan is to let it continue to age/ferment until a week before xMas. Then I'll keg to carbonate. May bottle off some from the keg too.

Fermenting off the honey/cider shouldn't take 4 weeks at temps between 60-65'f (room temps). I was at 1.040 when I racked the beer into 2ndary onto the cider. Just checked it this am, 4 days later, I'm at 1.048. Cider added some sugars for sure, and with it, ABV! Tasted the sample I used for the refractometer. I'm not sure what it is, but its got a wierd taste to it still...hoping it ferments/ages out. Maybe its too much ginger? Smells great, but its just got a weird tinge' to it.

My plan is to let it continue to age/ferment until a week before xMas. Then I'll keg to carbonate. May bottle off some from the keg too.

Mine has been fermenting around 66-68*. We have an 8 month old and keep the house a bit warmer, that and my wife says she's cold when it's 69-71...If tinge means a kind of spicy taste, it probably is the ginger. I'm hoping that steeping a tea rather than putting it in the boil will keep the strong taste of the ginger and the clove under control. I haven't tasted a sample of this yet since I couldn't get one before adding the honey and cider. Maybe I'll give the secondary fermentation a week to 10 days and then check the gravity and give it a taste.

Just racked this bad boy to the secondary after 8 days in the primary. Medium amber color, sweet with a dry aftertaste and spices at the forefront (in a good way!). Also kind of fruity!

I had an OG of 1.064 with the honey added at flameout (and I accidentally added 2.67 pounds of honey instead of the 2, oops). After one week it dropped all the way down to 1.013 before adding the cider (that's 6.69% alcohol already, and it has more sugar to eat!).

Very excited for how this will turn out.

Mine has been fermenting around 66-68*. We have an 8 month old and keep the house a bit warmer, that and my wife says she's cold when it's 69-71...If tinge means a kind of spicy taste, it probably is the ginger. I'm hoping that steeping a tea rather than putting it in the boil will keep the strong taste of the ginger and the clove under control. I haven't tasted a sample of this yet since I couldn't get one before adding the honey and cider. Maybe I'll give the secondary fermentation a week to 10 days and then check the gravity and give it a taste.

JTK, did you end up moving to secondary then?

I ended up just adding the cider to primary, as you had done, as i only had a 5 gallon for secondary. Glad I did not too since adding the cider brings it up to 5.5 and another round of Krausen has sprung up higher.

Is secondary still needed? Just wait a week for this cider addition to ferment out and then transfer? I was thinking racking off the apples to secondary would be good to let it clear up before bottling

JTK, did you end up moving to secondary then?

I ended up just adding the cider to primary, as you had done, as i only had a 5 gallon for secondary. Glad I did not too since adding the cider brings it up to 5.5 and another round of Krausen has sprung up higher.

Is secondary still needed? Just wait a week for this cider addition to ferment out and then transfer? I was thinking racking off the apples to secondary would be good to let it clear up before bottling

I did not rack it at all yet. I just warmed the cider up a bit and dumped the honey into the warm cider on a pot on the stove to dissolve the honey, but I've since read you didn't need to do that. Oh well, I'm hoping it would mix well and give a better flavor throughout the beer.

I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to rack it or not. I can't see how leaving the apples in the beer will hurt it. I would like to rack it to something so there is less sediment to avoid when racking to the bottling bucket, but I don't have anything other than plastic buckets that will hold the 5.5+ gallons.

I guess I could use 1 gallon jugs and see how many fit in the three smaller carboys I have. If I have one that will hold 5.5 gallons, I'll probably rack it since the majority of the krausen and even fermentation seems to be really slowing down now.

I got more krausen and vigorous fermentation after the cider and honey were added than at any point before that. Did your beer do that?

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'm going to rack it to carboy or bucket because going from the mess that's in there now to a bottling bucket with sediment on the bottom and devoured apple chucks/foam on the top, I can't see how I'd possibly get anything other than chunky beer if I don't rack it.

Today is 2 weeks since I brewed, but only 5 since I added the honey and cider. Maybe I'll rack to a carboy, hopefully it fits in one of the three I have open, on Wednesday. That's a week from the addition of they honey and cider. I'll look for stable gravity readings around the 18th-20th. That'd be the 5 weeks the recipe calls for, just not exactly 1 in the primary, 4 in the secondary. Seems in my case, the fermentation should be almost completely finished before I rack it and it just be a mini clearing tank for about 2.5 weeks to settle out.

I am thinkking the same thing. My "5-gallon" secondary definilty has some head space where could probably fit the beer and I am positive that this beer is going to need to do some clearing/settling out. Time to start thinking about the next brew :ban:

I am thinkking the same thing. My "5-gallon" secondary definilty has some head space where could probably fit the beer and I am positive that this beer is going to need to do some clearing/settling out. Time to start thinking about the next brew :ban:

I just poured 5.25 gallons into my 5 gallon carboy. Not going to hold the 5.5+ gallons this recipe made, but I'm wondering how much beer I'll lose from the apples and sediment at the bottom when I do rack it.

I think I'm going to do it. I'm going to grab a couple wine bottles from my parents' stash and what doesn't fit in the carboy, I'll put in sanitized wine bottles with airlocks. I'm going to rack it on Wednesday.

I moved to another carboy to let some more of the "stuff" settle out. It would have been a huge PITA to go straight to the bottling bucket with this batch. It almost all fit in a 5 gallon carboy. I have a wine bottle around 80% full or so. I have my sample from the hydrometer test in the fridge. Can't wait to taste it. Gravity was down to 1.008. Color of the beer looks good.

Secondary.jpg

So, you see the other carboy there...any suggestions on getting the apple chunks out?

The sample makes me think this is going to be phenomenal. There is a bit of sweetness in the beginning followed immediately by the ginger/spice and then mellows into the apple/cider. Letting this sit for another 2-3 weeks and then bottling should give me a really nice beer.

Took a peek at the carboy this morning while checking on a wheat beer and there is a significant sediment layer on the bottom. I'm glad I'm letting this sit for some time to clear. My 5 week mark to bottle from the boil is 12/20. I'm wondering if I need to wait that long since there has been a significant settling already.

Since I'm starting to drink my first homebrew, I haven't tasted one that's been moved to a secondary or one that sat for more than 2 weeks in the primary since my first was a quick hefe.

I'm wondering if the carbonation will take longer than 3 weeks since I'm expecting a lot of the yeast will have settled since the fermentation is probably complete since it was down to 1.008 almost a week ago.

I found it interesting that when I filled the 6.5 gallon carboy with water to soak and loosen some of the dried krausen, it started showing signs of fermentation again, at least that's what it looked like - more bubbles rising to the surface and creating a new, but smaller krausen.

Any changes in your beer in the past few days kratzer?

Appearance looks the same. I'm going to give the bottles a soak in OxyClean Free and probably bottle tomorrow, a couple days earlier than the 5 week mark, but the SG was pretty low when I racked it and there is a nice sediment layer on the bottom of the carboy.

Bottled today. FG was 1.008, so it was fermented out the last time I checked on it.

Sample tastes pretty good. The ginger is definitely coming through with the apple. I'm hoping the ginger flavor mellows a bit over the next few weeks while it's bottle conditioning.

Color is very similar to apple cider. This should be very delicious and I'm really looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks.

Anyone else drinking this yet and have a picture of what it looks like with a head on it?

It is so awesome to see how this recipe has inspired so many folks to brew this very elaborate holiday I brew. I simply love beers like this and I am planning a new version of this for next xmas, and it is going to be roastier and bigger than the last version, which is super awesome. Let's brainstorm a little and see what we can come up with. Here is a start

14 pound two row
1/2 pound C80
1/2 pound C40
1# oats rolled
4 oz special B
4 oz victory
4 oz chocolate
1 oz magnum at 60
\2# honey at end of boil
1 nub fresh ginger rough chopped at 5 minutes
2 cinn sticks at 5
2 whole penang cloves at 5
OG before fruit = roughly 1.080
WLP500
5# chopped apples and 64oz apple cider to secondary

Also folks, I love the pics and the reports of how your beers turned out. This is a great recipe protocol for the holidays.

mmmmm........mmmmmm.......

I used a scale to measure the ginger and I used a grater, like you would use to shred cheddar cheese, and came up with 1.5 ounces that way and the ginger flavor is probably the strongest flavor I tasted at bottling. I'm hoping it mellows a bit and the apple comes through more. It's interesting the learning experience you get going through the first time - like chopping the apples means more than just slicing them that they'll fit into the carboy with force because they're a pain to remove otherwise.

I haven't gone into the realm of partial- or mini-mash or full grain yet, so no idea what that grain bill will do.

Agreed on the ginger, next time I would do LESS ginger. I used .8oz of powdered ginger for 5.5gal batch. The ginger HAS mellow'd alot from my initial sampling during fermentation.

OG: 1.083
FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.9%
Color: Totally looks like apple cider, but clearer.
Nose: Ginger and Apple with a malty background
Taste: pretty much equal to the nose.
Including the fermentables from 5lbs of apples and 1/2 gallon of apple cider... I claim this a 10% ABV beer easily, but it drinks ALOT easier than other 10% ABV commercial beers I've had.

Beer is currently carbonating, just racked into keg tonight. We'll see in 5days how she is.

I brewed this following kratzers recipe on Sunday. Within 12 hours my yeast was going at it. I am getting a bubble a second right now sitting at 72°. Trying to drop it down to 68°. I am not getting as much krausen as I had expected. I put a blow off hose on there just in case. Cant wait to move to secondary and add the honey and apple cider.

How do you calculate the ABV when adding all the other sugars in the secondary? I had an OG of 1.048.

I brewed this following kratzers recipe on Sunday. Within 12 hours my yeast was going at it. I am getting a bubble a second right now sitting at 72°. Trying to drop it down to 68°. I am not getting as much krausen as I had expected. I put a blow off hose on there just in case. Cant wait to move to secondary and add the honey and apple cider.

How do you calculate the ABV when adding all the other sugars in the secondary? I had an OG of 1.048.

I didn't get much krausen at all during the initial fermentation, but it roared when I added the honey and cider. In the 6.5 gallon carboy, I didn't need to use a blow off hose, but I was watching and was prepared in the event I needed to switch it out.

It will be a couple more weeks until I'm drinking this, but I'll let you know how the ginger mellows (if it does). My wife said she thought it was good when we bottled it, but I think it will go over better if the ginger isn't as bold.

I don't know that you can calculate an OG when adding extra sugars part way through. I tried beer calculus, but the issue is the sugars in the apples. I don't remember if the sugars in cider were able to be calculated by the web-based program either.

I don't think I was able to even get an OG before the cider and honey as the turkey baster wouldn't reach the liquid.

JTK, my wife said the same thing, sounds like our brew's are pretty close as far as initial assumptions.

Best thing you could do when trying to figure out the additional fermentables, minus the apples would be to:

1. Take a gravity reading before adding the honey/ginger
2. Rack the beer onto the honey/ginger
3. Take another gravity reading.
4. Take the initial and second gravity reading and use that additional ABV and add it your final gravity reading.

Example:

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.1% ABV

Gravity before racking onto honey/cider: 1.030
Gravity after racking onto honey/cider: 1.045 (just a guess)
Thats 2% abv at 65'f

Final ABV w/o factoring in fermentables from the apples:

7.1% abv

Guessing the apples add atleast another 1%.

edited to use your OG Slack

Carbonated and ready to go. Been drinking since the 23'rd, and it won't last past xMas for sure. Good sign!!! Cold and Carbonated its GREAT!!

DSC_0187-1.jpg

Racked to secondary on cider and honey yesterday. I had to refrain from pouring the honey in my mouth and focus on pouring it in the carboy.

Still trying to figure out how to get these apples out of the carboy.

Back