What to do with these kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I found some beer kits at a supermarket at a price that is an absolute steal, so I bought 3X 1.5kg Brewtec brown draught kits and 1X 1.5kg Brewtec lager kit. I was thinking about adding the 3 brown draught kits together to make a (strong) 23L brew, and then adding 2 packets of high alcohol yeast from a brewing shop. The cans are all pre hopped. Does that sound like a good idea? They are these kits here http://brewlion.lionshop.co.nz/default.asp?dept_ID=38

Do the kits say anything about the IBUs? Because they'll add up. Three kits in 23L might be a bit much for a Brown, ~1.070. If you decide to do this, you should probably add some flavor hops to give it something to contrast the bitterness.

I don't have a large enough pot to do a full boil, but can I dry hop in the primary fermenter as I only have 1 fermenter?

If I add all 3 kits together in a 23L batch should I just pitch all 3 packets of yeast that is supplied with the kits (they all have about 1 year left before the best before date) or should I use some high alcohol ale yeast?

The problem I see is that prehopped LMEs usually go bad after time because of the hopps. Are the cans bulging at all? If so, thats a sign that they are bad.

thee descriptions are pretty vague, but i don't think hoppiness will be a concern. the brown is described to have "modest bitterness." I say go for it. I would just use the dry yeast they came with... likely scenario you are looking at maybe 1.070 or 1.080 Starting gravity. I've fermented beers this high with dry yeast in the past with no problems

The problem I see is that prehopped LMEs usually go bad after time because of the hopps. Are the cans bulging at all? If so, thats a sign that they are bad.

It seems fresh. The cans are not bulging at all. There is a year left before the best before date.

BeerSmith shows 4.5 KG of LME would give a beer with an OG of about 1.071. Estimated ABV just under 7%. Just do it and call it an Imperial Brown. The yeast that came with it should work.

+1 just do it. you mentioned that one kit was a lager however. if you are going to use the yeast from the kits, the exclude the yeast from the lager kit unless you have temp control to brew lagers

I've added 2 of the brown draught kits and the 1 lager kit together. I used 2 yeast packets. The OG was 1.066. Fermentation started off as it should, with the airlock bubbling vigorously. I then noticed that the fermenter was leaking slightly from the seal around the tap. I then tipped the brew from the fermenter into another (sanitized) fermenter the day after I started the brew and the fermentation looks 'dead'. There are no bubbles from the airlock and the foam has disappeared. It seems as though transferring the brew from one fermenter to the other has killed my brew. WTF is up with that?

how long has it been since you transfered? tempurature? i'd give it 24-36 hours before you should think about repitching. RDWAHAHB

It's been 48 hours since I transfered it. Temperature has been around 20-22°C. I'll re pitch some yeast now.

i was given a can of hopped porter extract, i noticed today that the lid is bulging? is it still safe to brew? or is it like other cans when they are bulging? if i brew this what ill effects will it have? just stale flavor? or will it get someone sick?

i was given a can of hopped porter extract, i noticed today that the lid is bulging? is it still safe to brew? or is it like other cans when they are bulging? if i brew this what ill effects will it have? just stale flavor? or will it get someone sick?

Trying to hijack my thread mate? It's all good.

I doubt itl get someone sick, most likely migth just taste sour. Commonly the date is put on the can mainly for the yeast sacket. But dont listen to me, there are many more knowledgable people here :p

I brewed a 3month old hopped extract stout,(wasnt bulging) came out good, one note though says IBUs are 510 but it taste alot more hoppy than my 710IBU stout.

Trying to hijack my thread mate? It's all good.

sorry, i was about to brew the porter and noticed the lid was bulging. decided to look for something on here. as i was going thru new posts i found yours and read it. Hope your brews turn out well. :mug:

sorry, i was about to brew the porter and noticed the lid was bulging. decided to look for something on here. as i was going thru new posts i found yours and read it. Hope your brews turn out well. :mug:

No worries mate. All the best with your brews. :tank:

hey SMOKEU just wondering where you got the cheap kits? im in east auckland. Id be keen to put a few cheap kits together to see what happens too :D

I got mine from Countdown Colombo St. $6 each for 1.5kg kits.

Pommy, I've scored some similar, just go check out the local Countdown, Foodtown or Woolworths. It would appear that they're going to only stock the Coopers homebrew (I guess that's what you get when they're an aussie company!). And so they've been clearing the Lion, Brewtec and Geordie (all NZ Breweries brands). I got some from Foodtown Manukau (sorry, I cleaned them out) and Papakura Countdown (not sure if they have any/much left). I'd have a look at Countdown Botany, and probably Highland Park too. I think they've been on clearance for a while though, so they may have run out. Cheap brewing if you can score it! :tank:

If you had two good solid days of fermenting, it's probably just about done. Some yeasts work really fast, some really slow. Hope it tastes good.

cheers
~r~

I've added 2 of the brown draught kits and the 1 lager kit together. I used 2 yeast packets. The OG was 1.066. Fermentation started off as it should, with the airlock bubbling vigorously. I then noticed that the fermenter was leaking slightly from the seal around the tap. I then tipped the brew from the fermenter into another (sanitized) fermenter the day after I started the brew and the fermentation looks 'dead'. There are no bubbles from the airlock and the foam has disappeared. It seems as though transferring the brew from one fermenter to the other has killed my brew. WTF is up with that?

The gravity has remained at 1.024 for the last 3 days. Temperature has been at a constant 21°C. The gravity should be lower than that, is it stuck?

Yeah im about five minutes from botany and i was there last night but they didnt have any specials on and only a few non coopers left :( Ill give highland park a try, cheers for the tip ;)

Back