Candy Corn Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
For the past few years our friend's family have hosted a "Hate Candy Corn Party". Not exactly sure how it started but it's turned into a great party. Last year they had a contest to see who could make the best food with candy corn as one of the ingredients. So this year my friend wants me to make a candy corn beer. Personally, I hate candy corn also, so I said I would do it. Circus Peanuts come in a close second but Candy Corn is the worst.
I was thinking about an American Ale. Something with a little more hops to cut the CC flavors. I have a few recipes that would work for this but I really don't know what the sugars in the Candy Corn will do. How much CC to use? Help......???
I got this from Wiki..... Candy corn is made primarily from sugar, corn syrup and honey. Manufacturers first combined sugar, corn syrup, and water and cooked them into a slurry. Fondant was added for texture and marshmallows provided a soft bite. The final mixture was then heated and poured into shaped molds. Three passes were required during the pouring process, one for each colored section. Few changes have been made to the process or recipe, with machines now performing the tasks formerly done by people.

I appreciate any feedback....thanks

I would probably boil the candy in enough water to cover - I'm not really sure where the "flavor" from candy corn comes from. Maybe the marshmallow/extreme amount of sugar? If they do still use fondant in the recipe, the agar/gelatin may screw with your chemistry.

man that **** aint gonna ferment its near 100% fructose carn syrup it needs to be something that could stand a backsweetening maybe even a cider might work

Do you have to brew with it? As a sugar it's going to be kind of expensive. I dunno if you have a keg but if you can fill bottles after carbing in a keg then you could just drop a few candies in each bottle prior to filling and capping. Pale Ale so you can see the candy at the bottom maybe?

-OCD

I'd agree with beerocd, put the candies in the bottles. I'd run a test first, because they are mainly fermentable sugars and might cause bottle bombs.

Use it as garnish... in something like a pumpkin amber/brown ale.

The Urban Housewife: Homemade Vegan Candy Corn = a Happy Halloween!

homemade-candy-corn.jpg

I'm thinkin' like tequila, where you do the worm at the end of the bottle. This case its the corn.

I know sugar cubes do a good job of putting a head on a beer. Maybe this will do that.

Try it out.

++use it to prime the bottles

I would just weigh them and assume something like 95% fermentables to make sure that you can use 1 corn, or maybe 1/2 corn per bottle.

++use it to prime the bottles

I would just weigh them and assume something like 95% fermentables to make sure that you can use 1 corn, or maybe 1/2 corn per bottle.

If you do this, test it out in PET pop bottle that you get from the gas station.

If it bulges like a mofo, gushes or is flat you know what to do.

I think any light, overly sweet, low-hop brew will do. I'd boil it with late additions of honey and brown sugar. I wouldn't use too much actual candy corn because, I mean really, what's IN those things?!

why the vegan candy corn?
brewing beer is yeast slavery!
KFC is chicken holocaust!
Meat is murder !
GO peta!

ok ok its out of my system,
i would do this two ways A. use CC as priming sugar tab
or B. (here is the winner) make a belgian strong ale and sub the candie sugar for candie corn sugar.
that would be great in the late oktober it will be nice an cool
look here for some ideas all these have candie sugar in them
Belgian Strong Ale - Home Brew Forums

why the vegan candy corn?
brewing beer is yeast slavery!
KFC is chicken holocaust!
Meat is murder !
GO peta!

ok ok its out of my system,
i would do this two ways A. use CC as priming sugar tab
or B. (here is the winner) make a belgian strong ale and sub the candie sugar for candie corn sugar.
that would be great in the late oktober it will be nice an cool
look here for some ideas all these have candie sugar in them
Belgian Strong Ale - Home Brew Forums

I posted this mainly for info on ingredients not that he would make some vegan candy corn. :cross:

You might try to double boil the candy corn see how well it breaks down.

Try a 1 gallon DME beer.

According to Brachs its made from honey.

Using it in a belgian strong would work, but using it to carb in a pumpkin ale would be more novel.

You could drop into glasses of cider too. Nice visual....

I brewed a halloween brown ale years back with Candy Corn and Count Chocula. The candy corn just ferments away, but all the orange dye did give the foam a slight orange hue to it. I used the mixed bag with the corns and pumpkins.

I brewed a halloween brown ale years back with Candy Corn and Count Chocula. The candy corn just ferments away, but all the orange dye did give the foam a slight orange hue to it. I used the mixed bag with the corns and pumpkins.

What did you do with corn & pumpkins. Put them in the boil???

First off thanks for all the feedback. Secondly who the fukc makes vegan candy corn. I didn't think it could get any worse....

I need to serve this brew 10/24 so I have almost 3 months. Planning on brewing this weekend or next. I talked to the girl I'm brewing this for. She would like to stay on the lighter side of things with a medium to lower hopped brew. The belgian would fit this category but would a belgian strong take longer than 10/24 to mellow and get good? Keep the good advice coming.....thanks again

What style did you brew? These folks aren't good beer drinkers. I asked her what her family members liked...one likes Amstel Light, most of the family are Miller or Bud Light drinkers and one Heineken drinker.

I think that you should start early for next year and do a candy corn wine or mead to follow up this year's beer. :D

How long would you think it would take a strong to sit and get good? Start to finish.....

I'd go the other way. I'd go something like a cream ale. It would be done in a month, no problem. It is light and you could make it sweet. I don't think belgian yeast would go well, and I don't think that you need to hop this beer at all. Light, sweet, and simple.

Well, have you had a Belg Strong Gold before? You can make that call about non-brewers. I'd say you could get it done before Haloween if you started soon. It would be green but who knows.

Also a good idea. I need something that is going to be nice in 10 weeks. Cheaper is always good for an experimental brew. I don't have time to run a gallon test batch or I would. I think I have everything I need for a cream ale already in the basement......time to take a quick inventory. Thanks for the suggestion......the topic is not closed yet though......

Yeah, cream ale would also be great. Although it might get funky from the candy being in the bottle. I think BM did a version of his cream ale that used sugar as an adjunt you could boil down the candy for that. Although I might worry about chill haze.

I would probably just boil the candy in some water and add it to the boil. Recipe I have for Cream Ale calls for .75lb cane or corn sugar. If CC is 95% sugar I should just be able to use .75 lbs of CC instead?

Or you could do a "Kit and a kilo" with a kilo of candy corn....

I like the cream ale idea though. I say brew it up and see what happens!

So be it....5 gallons of Candy Corn Cream Ale coming right up....I'll keep you posted. May even have some samples to send out....who knows? Now for a label...?

Alright the Candy Corn beer is fermenting as I type. Everything went as planned. Hit an OG of 1.055. I was going to put it in my "son of a fermenter" but my thermostat isn't working. So it's in the basement with a cold towel and a fan on it. It's holding around 68. A little warm but it should be ok. I used safale 05. I melted the candy corn in 1 cup of water. It turned this crappy brown color and when added to the wort it turned the wort a semi crappy brown color.....who knows....well see what happens. I'll keep ya posted.

It turned out very nice.....couldn't really taste the candy corn. I guess that was a good thing. I only had a little bit of it.....I wasn't able to attend the party. I was very pleased with the result. I have been hired to brew it again for this years party.

Back