About too buy this... but I'm scared...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILurvTheWhiskey

Reaction score
Sorry, duplicate thread. Am contacting a mod to remove it.

[Mod Edit] Done... :D

Howdy folks. I'm about to plunk $110 on a 'complete' basic Keg Kit from KegConnection. One thing I'm worried about is that it's got a 20oz CO2 tank, which I've read isn't exactly on the normal size of tanks.

With that said, can anybody tell from this picture if this setup would work with a 5lb tank later on down the road or would I need to add some stuff.

NEW and on Sale!!! 1 Keg Basic, 20 oz CO2, Single Gauge

I've read that a 20oz will work, but anybody got an idea as to how many kegs I can refill with it (I guess guessing two). I'm completely new to this, so if you need any more info let me know.

Also, other than having an odd size tank, does this look like a good deal? Any additions a starter might want to add?

Thanks.

I don't think that regulator will work with a 5# tank. A 5# tank has it's own valve and requires a regulator with the proper connection to the valve.
I don't know the terms, but I'm sure someone will have them.

If you see the need to have a portable Keg for parties.. this looks like a great set up though.

Cheers

On the bad side...that regulator won't work with a 5# (or bigger) normal CO2 tank. You'll need to invest about $45.00 for a normal regulator.

On the up side, you'll be the envy of everyone because you will have not only a home carbing/dispensing system, but also a portable system for taking kegs to parties.

That is a standard regulator. The only difference is the connection from regulator to what is actually a CO2 fill valve. Down the road if you change to a 5# or larger tank you will simply have to buy a $10 fitting. It's a really simple change over.

That looks like a good kit to get started with. Those paintball tanks are easy to get filled and should last atleast 2 kegs.

can you carbonate with thoes 20oz tanks? about how much co2 does it actually take to carbonate a 5 gal keg?

That is a standard regulator. The only difference is the connection from regulator to what is actually a CO2 fill valve. Down the road if you change to a 5# or larger tank you will simply have to buy a $10 fitting. It's a really simple change over.

That looks like a good kit to get started with. Those paintball tanks are easy to get filled and should last atleast 2 kegs.

I agree. looks like my Regulators, intake is just a threaded fitting and can be changed easily.

I have something similar for my portable setup, except it has a standard tank connection with an adapter to fit the 20 oz tank...cost $10.

You might call them and ask them over the phone that you'll take it if they throw in the fitting for the reg tank. It might have already been on there and they removed it. Down the road , you just buy the 5 or 10 # tank.

If you get this kit: 1 Keg Basic Keg Kit

It has everything the same as the other kit you listed. You can also remove the included 5# CO2 bottle if you already have one.

Price w/ CO2 tank: $158.95
Price w/o CO2 tank: $98.95

Just upgrade to the 5# now, because before you know it, you'll want a multi-keg system and I doubt that the 20 oz. can handle it. Also, for the extra money, you're getting a great deal on the co2 tank itself. I paid over $100 for mine...

If you want to continue using that regulator, you will need to buy a new regulator valve stem (left hand thread) and a valve nut. #K203 and #K205 in the website below. Oh and also a cheap nylon washer.

NORTHERN BREWER: Regulator Repair Parts

Depending on the Reg. some are normal right hand thread.. Guy at my local welding/air supply told me he have to order a left and I had better bring it in.. turned out it was a right hand thread and he had one on the shelf!!

I believe mine are Cornelius regulators.. which reminds me I need to order some rebuild kits

Back