when pitching yeast from a flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
Can you just pour the starter right out of the flask or do you need to sanitize
the inside of the flask above where the liquid sits? Seems like a lot of build up from the boil gets caked on the sides.

A common lab practice is to flame (briefly expose to an alcohol or gas flame to kill any unwanted organisms) the opening of the glass tube or flask to prevent contamination of the media being drained from the container. Flaming the opening of the flask with a vertical flame source is difficult to do if there is a lot of liquid in the flask. A nice mini torch used for browning creme brulee is a great tool for flaming the opening of a flask. I use mine a lot. It only takes a few seconds. If you've covered the flask with sterile foil or plugged with a foam stopper or airlock just flame the opening. There's no reason to worry about about any deposits down the neck. If they were not sanitary, you're hosed already.

I just wipe the neck around the stopper with a rag dipped in sanitizer, pull the stopper and pitch away....no worries. :mug:

Can you just pour the starter right out of the flask or do you need to sanitize
the inside of the flask above where the liquid sits?

The *inside* is fine, or if it isn't then the starter is jacked anyhow.

The outside lip is what people usually sanitzize when decanting. If foiled, I flame the lip. If airlocked, I spraybottle starsan or whatever all around the stopper/lip area and remove the stopper by wiggling the airlock rather than by touching the stopper with my fingers.

A nice mini torch used for browning creme brulee is a great tool for flaming the opening of a flask. I use mine a lot. It only takes a few seconds.

Those little torches are great but an alternative is one of these from the store for $18 and will last a long time. torch.jpg I use mine for flaming loops when making plates for yeasts, flaming the opening of the flasks, oh and for plumbing repairs.

I just wipe the neck around the stopper with a rag dipped in sanitizer, pull the stopper and pitch away....no worries. :mug:

Bingo Award for the day. Now if I could just remember to get the stir bar before I dump it into the wort....

TD

I agree, I had a stir-bar sit in the bottom of my primary for 2 months since I re-pitched on that cake. Now I use the 2nd stir-bar to stick to the bottom of my starter-flask when I think of it, that way the magnet stays inside.

I'm a big fan of single use isopropyl alcohol wipes to quick sanitize bottle openinings (especially if the container is not pyrex) and always keep some around the kitchen where I do my yeast culturing and starters ect. You will find some at your local pharmacy or you can do your own with cotton balls and rubbing alcohol (isopropanol 70%)

Back