How many grams in a Campden tablet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would appreciate it if someone could weigh for me, in grams, a campden tablet (my scale has finer devisions with grams than oz). I bought some metabisulfite powder and I want to use it to treat my brewing water to remove chlorine. The instruction on the package are geared toward sanitizing for wine makers. People report to use half a tablet, or that a tablet treats 20 gal. etc., but how big is a tablet?

Thanks in advance!

They are not all the same. Some are potassium metabisulfite and some are sodium metabisulfite. The Campden tabs I have are sodium metabisulfite, and they weigh .60 grams each. I weighed using a scale that is accurate to .01 grams (Acculab VI-400).

You can buy potassium or sodium metabisulfite in powder form if you want to make precise measurements, although Campden tablets are cheap and easy to use and a little excess sulfur dioxide won't hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back