Removed the dip tube from a Sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Monkey

Reaction score
Pulled the dip tube from the keg - pics here:

Top of keg to open -
keggles11-08003.jpg

Notch where we put the screw driver -
keggles11-08005.jpg

Here is the clip pulled half way out -
keggles11-08008.jpg

The final product - I used a bike pedal wrench to twist the top off -
keggles11-08011.jpg

Now build a jig and cut the top out.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthGdMk_avk&feature=PlayList&p=DD904B9BABCE723C&index=2]YouTube - Keg to Brew Kettle Conversion[/ame]

Not to state the obvious but for those who have not done this before please relieve all the pressure in the keg prior to removing the tube or drilling.

Not to state the obvious but for those who have not done this before please relieve all the pressure in the keg prior to removing the tube or drilling.

Hah! I am of the school of thought that any internet instruction should be written assuming the person reading it is a moron. The more info the better. Go read forums from other sites around the net and you will see what I am getting at. Haven't found any idiots on HBT though, the beer must make us smarter!

A real easy way to relieve the pressure is to tap a finishing nail in the valve at the top next to the ball. As stated earlier, point this away from your face unless you want to get wet.

Back