First AG...critique recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vav

Reaction score
Ok, so, my wort chiller arrived today. All i need is some 5.2 and a Propane tank and i'm good to go.

SO, i've made my recipe for my inaugural AG brew, utilizing those Cascade hops one of my customers grows and allowed me to pick (see thread: I Got Lucky...)

A critique of this would be wonderful. And the plan is to add 5.2, half to mash, half to sparge.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.62 gal
Estimated OG: 1.092 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 109.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.38 %
3.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 18.92 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
2.00 oz Cascade Leaf [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade Leaf [5.00 %] (90 min) (First WorHops 6.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook Leaf [13.00 %] (90 min) (First WoHops 17.0 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook Leaf [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade Leaf [5.00 %] (90 min) (Aroma HopHops -
1.00 oz Cascade Leaf [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook Leaf [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial Leaf [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial Leaf [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.7 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 23.13 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Looks like an IIPA. I've never used Melanoiden malt, but from what I read it should add some maltiness. That's a whole lotta leaf hops. You might want to use pellets since you'll get quite a bit of wort absorption from the leaf hops.

In "Brewing Classic Styles" Jamil suggests adding some plain table sugar to help dry out the beer since the high gravity and unfermentables may cause it to end up on the sweet side. I think he suggested a pound or so. Maybe back down the 2-row if you decide to go this route.

For your AG, I found it helpful to premeasure and label all of the hop additions, as well as write down the steps. It's easy to forget the 5.2, forget to add the Irish Moss and wort chiller to the boil, etc.

Good luck. This should be a fun beer to make. If you have a 20 gallon MLT, you'll be surprised how full you'll get it. Make sure to have a sturdy mash paddle or stirring spoon.

Looks like an IIPA. I've never used Melanoiden malt, but from what I read it should add some maltiness. That's a whole lotta leaf hops. You might want to use pellets since you'll get quite a bit of wort absorption from the leaf hops.

In "Brewing Classic Styles" Jamil suggests adding some plain table sugar to help dry out the beer since the high gravity and unfermentables may cause it to end up on the sweet side. I think he suggested a pound or so. Maybe back down the 2-row if you decide to go this route.

For your AG, I found it helpful to premeasure and label all of the hop additions, as well as write down the steps. It's easy to forget the 5.2, forget to add the Irish Moss and wort chiller to the boil, etc.

Good luck. This should be a fun beer to make. If you have a 20 gallon MLT, you'll be surprised how full you'll get it. Make sure to have a sturdy mash paddle or stirring spoon.

I figured the hop amount was going to be a problem because of absorbtion, so i'm going to shoot for 6 gallons rather than 5.5.

Thanks for the advice :)

Back