Growing irritation at restaurants and bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go to a bar in Sioux City called BA's and they have around 28 beers on tap with a beer list that would make any beer drinker jealous. There is close to 70 beers on there. So if you can't find anything to drink in there then you might want to stop trying.

I am in the boat of "I choose my dining experience based on the beer selection" as well. Though I travel a lot and find myself eating out where ever I can, often in airports. Most of the time the best you can get is Sam Adams. But there are some airports in the US that have good restaurant/pubs in them. To name a few, Portland, OR (PDX) has probably the most that I have seen, with Laurelwood brew pub, Gustav's German restaurant(imported beers like Spaten and others on tap), a local restaurant chain called Stanfords with a decent variety, Widmer Bros brew pub, and others. One of my favorite airports to fly through is Salt Lake City Utah, Squatters pub(Salt Lake Brewing Co.) on the C concourse. Chicago airport is rather disapointing for restaurants in general, the only good place there is the Berghoff pub, but its almost impossible to get a table their, and its quick service and a bar. Chicago sucks ass for table service restaurants in the airport. In some of the smaller city airports I get lucky now and then with a new local brew pub in the airport, but for the most part its hit and miss.

To the OP, being in MD, you have quite a few choices, My companies corp. office is in Columbia, There is a nice little brew pub in Columbia called Bad Dog or something, I don't remember the name, also in Elicott city I went to a brew pub in the old downtown area, cannot remember that name either but it was across the street from a mexican joint called Lapalapa or something. There is also a nice Gastro Pub in Columbia called Victorias or something that has some nice imports on tap and bottle.

Personally I miss Portland OR, lived there for 3 years, If by the off chance you find yourself in a place with only BMC, you can just walk down the street a couple of blocks and find a nice little brew pub, they are everywhere in and around Portland.

I don't remember the name, also in Elicott city I went to a brew pub in the old downtown area

I'm not sure when you were there, but we went there this summer and it was horrible. Their beer was OK (not great) but the food and service was horrendous.

I'll have to check out the two places you mention in Columbia.

The wine list at these same places is often as big as the menu. I think the wine snobs are more vocal in their want/need for a variety of good wines. Whereas the beer snobs are obviously less vocal.

For all yall that complain about finding good beer on tap...... at least you can go buy it at a store. In Alabama, we can't even do that. Usually means a trip out of state......

I had a somewhat amusing moment at Capital Ale House one day at lunch when I ordered a hefe, it was either Weihensetephaner or Franziskaner. The bartender brought out the glass while looking at it kinda odd. She said that whatever came out of that tap certainly didn't look like a German wheat, it was too clear even though the color was mostly right. I tried it, and it was some kind of American-style summer wheat. She went in the back and checked and someone had gotten two of the keg lines swapped - probably pretty easy since they have a lot of stuff on tap.

I still drank it, though, even though I'm not that much of a fan of American wheats. She said she'd replace it, but I hate wasting beer :eek:

We do have several pubs in the Albany area with good selections, so I stay away from the chain places. I was just visiting my daughter in Alexandria, VA this weekend and went to Rustico's. Big bottle list and many taps. I had a hand-drawn cask ale, a rauchbier and a lambic. Great way to end a Friday!

We've got a lot of micros available here in beer town, my problem is the only places that serve them cater to the twenty something crowd. I've got kids that age. I guess rather than feeling like a fossil, I'll hit the liqour store and hang out at home.

Many restaurants here do carry Great Lakes Dortmunder, which is a decent beer but IMO the least interesting beer they make. However even if they do it is difficult to determine if it is available or if anything else besides Bud Lite is available.
Many blue collar mid-western cities seem to be very slow to drink micro beers. After all Bud is a "premium" beer, those micros are just too expensive.

Craig

I go where I know theres beer that I'm in the mood for.

The other night I went to a place that has a lot of microbrews on tap, and then last night I went to Applebees and had an ice cold Bud Lite :D I was just in the mood for it.

I'm of the understanding that with many chain restaurants, the companies which own the major breweries also own a piece of the restaurant chain, thus accounting for the forever limited selection of beers. Much the way these retail strips where these restaurants are found in all have anchor stores owned by the banks which build the strips and lease the property. I never realized the degree of interdependence in these things until i began working in a retail office, now i see it everywhere i look.

I'm not sure when you were there, but we went there this summer and it was horrible. Their beer was OK (not great) but the food and service was horrendous.

I'll have to check out the two places you mention in Columbia.

I used to live walking distance from www.ellicottmillsbrewing.com/ and it was OK
I believe the one in Columbia is www.rockyrun.com/

And you have many good choices if you dare to venture into "Charm City" ;)

Its not like I expect them to fill their taps with micros.

I don't know what bars and restaurants pay for their beer but I have a hunch that they're paying less than retail price.

Not really but I guess that depends on the state . Here in NY you have to buy from an approved vendor. And the price is much higher than the local beverage store . Sometimes the vendor will throw a special like if you try xxxxxx we will give you a 1/2 keg free and some giveaways. If you get caught selling beer or liquor that didn't come from the vendor BIG fine.

I was having a big graduation party for my son and the beer distributor made me sign a waiver that I wasn't buying it for restaurant or bar.2 kegs and 10 or so cases

Not really but I guess that depends on the state . Here in NY you have to buy from an approved vendor. And the price is much higher than the local beverage store . Sometimes the vendor will throw a special like if you try xxxxxx we will give you a 1/2 keg free and some giveaways. If you get caught selling beer or liquor that didn't come from the vendor BIG fine.

I was having a big graduation party for my son and the beer distributor made me sign a waiver that I wasn't buying it for restaurant or bar.2 kegs and 10 or so cases

gotta love the government, they definately know what is best for everyone:confused:

i guess i am lucky.. i never run into the problem of not finding good microbrew at all the places i eat around here...

the area i live in is big beer drinking area (partially b/c no liquor by the drink was allowed here.. until just last week a vote passed to allow it in all restaurants ), and most of the restaurants around here have at least bell's, rogue, northcoast, sam adams, etc. on tap (as well as localish breweries)

Well here is my $.02. I am a Bartender at one of these chain resturants and yes we dont carry any of these micro Brewed beers mentioned above. Hell the bbest of what we have is guinness, new castle and bass. In fact that is the best you can even find in my town. Ruby Tuesdays claims to have micro but in fact they never carry it, its just a coprate menu thing. Fact is most people dont even know that Killians is not an import but a mere step child. Contrary to beleif most resturants have a choice to what they carry. My resturant goes through loads of bud light. Matter of fact i changed two Kegs tonight and we were not busy. On the other habd i have to dust off the Sam Adams. Its just that people do not often truly appreciate the beer they are drinking. They are looking for the simple after effect.

Also i am guilty as welll; when i am lookign to get tipsy, ok im twenty three why lie, DRUNK. I drink bud light: its light, cold and hell i can drink a lot of it. However when i have cash and can afford it i go to the new and only english pub in town and order a hobgoblin. Its the only non A typical beer you can get around here and as of late i'm thinking about boycoting Budweiser. Who do they think they are selling out to a foreign company? Any way back on track its just resturants carry what sells and right now its not beer that taste like beer, its water that taste like water with a hint of beer.

Wow. I have to say that you all are making me glad to be on the west coast. Portland, Oregon has difinately gotten me spoiled (and drunk) with really good beer. I mean we have a butt load of PBR and Bud light, but even the crappiest of chain restaurants here has at least 1 or 2 micros on tap. I don't think I need mention the abundance of brew pubs. So when you uprise and take it to the streets (al la French Revolution), count me in!

We usually go to Applebees (still can't understand why so many others have had bad luck with them...) and I get a kick out of asking the new servers what they have for beer. My wife hates it, but I do this every place we eat. If they can't list their beers for me, then their tip suffers. The servers should at least know the names of their drinks.

At least I can always get Sam Adams, Bell's Oberon, Bass, and sometimes some seasonal beers there. I could only dream of having a place nearby with a REAL good selection of beer. Actually, the Bennigan's nearby has a good selection as well, but we dont' usually eat there.

One of my favorite resources for finding good beer bars and beer stores is:
http://beermapping.com/

It's basically a google map overlay'ed with good places to get beers, divided into categories (brewery, brewpub, beer bar, beer store, and homebrew store). There are maps for the major cities as well as entire regions of many countries.

I always check it before I travel anymore. If you know of a place that's not listed, its your duty as a beer lover to submit it :tank:

At the very least, restaurants and bars could at least carry one or two regional microbrews.

I'm in baltimore city and I've tried to find a home brew place on Google Maps...

... it looks like bars are showing up that list themselves as "microbreweries." Does that mean they make their own beer on-site?

Duclaw Brewing Co-Restaurant‎ - more info »
7000 Arundel Mills Cir, Hanover, MD -

???

Are you in Hanover?

I'm in baltimore city and I've tried to find a home brew place on Google Maps...

... it looks like bars are showing up that list themselves as "microbreweries." Does that mean they make their own beer on-site?

Duclaw Brewing Co-Restaurant‎ - more info »
7000 Arundel Mills Cir, Hanover, MD -

???

Are you in Hanover?

DuClaw is in the Arundel Mills Mall. I've been there a few times. Their beer is pretty good.

DuClaw is near where my son lives. They have a number of regular brews and then rotate their seasonal ones. They have a club and send out announcements by email when they are having a new release. I've had a few good ones from them.

Speaking for Delaware, we're a state that has several distributors, but they're all owned by one family and have different names so it doesn't look like a monopoly, but you know it really is. We're fortunate enough to be close to MD and PA and can get different beers via them.

I'm the 1st VP for the Delaware Saengerbund and my main job is to manage the bar. Here's what we serve

Bottle;
Miller Lite, Yuengling Light, Becks, Pilsner Urquell, Corona, DAB, Paulaner Salvator, and Hacker Pschorr Sternweisse. Our N.A. is Warsteiner.

Tap:
Paulaner Hefeweisse, Spaten, Yuengling, Ayinger Oktoberfest, Warsteiner, Penn Dark

All of our beers are simple price.
Yuengling tap - $2.50 1/2 liter
All others $3.00 1/2 liter

Domestic bottle- Miller Lite and Yueng light - $1.75
Imports - $2.25

I get a free hand in ordering beer and I do a rotating tap in which I have had recently: Dogfish 60 min, Dogfish Fentina Peche, Victory Prima Pils etc..

I too get annoyed when you go out and can only get watery half azzed versions of real beer. Especially when I know what can be ordered. Most places don't go in for higher priced beers because they think people aren't going to pay for it. Examples of wholesale cost:

Hacker Pschorr Sterweisse - $45 a rack (German case, 20 16.9 oz btls)
Dogfish 1/2 barrel - $119 (Dogfish 90 min - $149)
Troegs - $99 1/2 barrel
Paulaner $129 1/2 barrel

Compared to:
Bud - $72 1/2 barrel
Bush - $62 1/2 barrel
Natural Light - $45 1/2 barrel
Coor's - $55 1/2 barrel
Yuengling light $14.15 case

Most places are a 300% markup. We just try to make a little profit to cover operational expenses. But being a private club we can. Which makes me wonder why others, ie FOP and all just carry BMC. So if the beer is available, why not carry it? You won't find anyone in the state carrying a decent line like us, but they can.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. If any of you are ever in the area, (Newark DE) feel free to yell and you are welcome to stop by. We also allow smoking (Cigars too :) ) or stop by for our Oktoberfest, third week in Sept. We'll be serving Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest and have Twin Lakes brewery as well as our international Pavillion.

In Oregon any good eatery is almost expected to have a microbrew on tap anymore, it's actually really nice, trouble is a lot of us have come to the point where we want more obscure things over here, I guess we're kind of spoiled :D.

Back