Please forgive my ignorance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I've grown up eating salami and really have a love for it. However, becoming an adult has made me look at the foods I eat and have realized that this delicious meat is really not very good for me. I have had no luck finding a "healthy" salami and I have been wondering if this is because of the process used to make it or the common recipes for it. I really hope I am not insulting the craft of cured meats, but I am genuinely curious if it is possible to find it or make it. If not, I am relatively happy saving it as a delicious treat every once in a while.

Thanks!

what do you think is unhealthy about it? i mean, pork is a fatty oily meat, and cured meats rely on the fat being chunked and blended in, so its inherently going to be that way. And salty, so dunno

Yes, you can make it. It is not trivial. But it can come out great. Pepperoni too (I just made a mess of all-beef pepperoni). Regarding the recipe, I'd like to know what makes it unhealthful. There's curing salts, but those are necessary for dry salami. And fat of course. More info here: Dry Curing Sausage

_mg_8420-63109.jpg

Your body needs fat to function, and salt/sodium is not the demon everyone has tried to make it out to be.

Protip: Buy the good salami and don't treat it as your only source of protein. You will be just as 'healthy' as you would be if you didn't get the good stuff.

Like most anything else, it's the quantity that determines how healthy or unhealthy eating a food is. You have to think of it in the context of your diet in general, any health conditions or problems you might have, and so forth. For most people, a moderate amount of cured sausage most days is fine.

I have a Bud who hunts deer and boar and makes his own sausage. He has 3 or 4 main recipes including summer sausage, salami and pepperoni. He knows exactly what goes in it. Maybe find a local 'artisan' butcher and steer clear of the swifts and the hormels.

Wait, is this the "mess" you referenced above? Looks delicious.

No, that's some salami (pork) I made (stuffed into hog casings). I'll post pics of the pepperoni one day.

Actually, here's a pic of the pepperoni (yes, I know the freezer looks crappy, I've been meaning to put a coat of paint in there). I think it was about done at this time. I'll get some sliced pics up in the near future (probably make pizza this week, will do then).

thumb2__mg_1244-66596.jpg

I do not feel all that bad about the condition of my refridge any longer. :)

Your salami looks fantastic. AND now I am hungry.

No, that's some salami (pork) I made (stuffed into hog casings). I'll post pics of the pepperoni one day.

Actually, here's a pic of the pepperoni (yes, I know the freezer looks crappy, I've been meaning to put a coat of paint in there). I think it was about done at this time. I'll get some sliced pics up in the near future (probably make pizza this week, will do then).

thumb2__mg_1244-66596.jpg

Back