Oatmeal Stout Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
OG 1.055 (80% efficiency, adjust base malt for your system)
IBUs 36
6.75# Pale malt
0.5# roasted Barley (350l)
0.75# chocolate (330l)
0.5# crystal 40
0.5# crsytal 120
0.75# victory
1# flaked oats
2oz Willamette hops at 60
S-04 yeast

Single infusion mash at 156F for 60 min.

I threw this recipe together when I had concerns about the astringency of my previous stout.
This one is very smooth and full bodied even at 2 weeks in bottle, no problems with astringency. The roast flavors are subdued compared to most bold stouts but it tastes oh so good. :D

Craig

I grabbed a can of oatmeal at the store the other day, then searched HBT for some good recipes. I actually wrote down four recipes, but I decided to go with this one from CBBaron. It was my first choice and it was all in stock at the LHBS. I have never made a beer with no late addition hops, but this recipe and others called for two ounces (in this case Williamette) for 60. I did increase the base grains to 9# to make up for normally low efficiency of my "system", and I make 6 gallons instead of 5. Other than that, I went straight by the recipe. I am drinking an Edwort's Haus Pale Ale while waiting for the mash to finish and my sparge water is already up to temp. Outside temps are nice and cool though..... only 91 degrees this afternoon. Yesterday was 98!

Good luck with the brew and let me know what you think of it.
I really don't think that many stouts need late addition hops. There is plenty of flavors going on with the roasted grains that late hops additions just muddles up. There are ofcourse exceptions :D

A friend of mine told me he wanted me to brew a batch of this for his party, unfortunately the party is in 4 weeks so I don't have the time, but it was an indication of how others liked it.

Craig

Used this recipe today as my first all grain. Everything went pretty well with only a couple minor mistakes. I forgot to put the flaked oats in when I started the mash. Had been mashing about 45 minutes when I noticed it. Added them and 2 qts of boiling water and let it sit for 40 more minutes, so a 90 minute mash instead of 60.

OG came in a bit high. I had figured it at 75% efficieny and got close to 80. I'm sure it will be a good beer, smells delicious. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brewed this a little while ago and am just at the moment enjoying a pint of it.

Turned out really well. I pretty much followed the recipe but I did toast the oats prior to mashing until they were golden brown.

Glad to see this recipe is working for so many people.

The toasted oats should make an interesting addition to beer.

The long mash may make for a slightly dryer beer but it should still be very good. I think much of the reason this seems so smooth compared to most American stouts is the restrained use of dark malts. But the high FG and low hops also contributes.

Craig

CBBaron, I'm a newbie and have not done all-grain yet. Is there an extract/partial version of this? I like that it is not so bold and would like to give it a whirl. Thanks.

CBBaron, I'm a newbie and have not done all-grain yet. Is there an extract/partial version of this? I like that it is not so bold and would like to give it a whirl. Thanks.

I'll see if I can convert it using Beersmith this evening.

However i don't recommend using flaked oats without at least a partial mash. The starches in oatmeal are unconverted and need the enzymes from the 2-row to convert.

However it is a nice mellow stout so it should be exactly what you are looking for. I'm guessing you would get a very similar beer if you replaced the pale malt and the flaked oats with an equivalent amount of pale DME (or LME). Just target the same gravity using software such as Beersmith or online using beertools

Craig

Craig,
I am only going to try a 2.5 gal batch to make sure I like it before I go full batch. I could probably swing a partial mash for this using info from this site and from my books, don't you think? If I screw it up, it will only be 2.5 gals!

Thanks,
Chris

Craig,
I am only going to try a 2.5 gal batch to make sure I like it before I go full batch. I could probably swing a partial mash for this using info from this site and from my books, don't you think? If I screw it up, it will only be 2.5 gals!

Thanks,
Chris

Sure a partial mash is not much more complicated than steeping grains.
Still I would recommend making a full 5gal batch. If you can make an extract + grains 5gal batch you can make a partial mash 5gal batch. And 2.5 gallons goes much too fast.

I try to keep beers from several batches available in my store room and I always find myself looking for the second case of a good batch only to realize I am just finishing the second case. I've never really found myself wishing I had made less of beer.

Craig

Sure a partial mash is not much more complicated than steeping grains.
Still I would recommend making a full 5gal batch. If you can make an extract + grains 5gal batch you can make a partial mash 5gal batch. And 2.5 gallons goes much too fast.

I try to keep beers from several batches available in my store room and I always find myself looking for the second case of a good batch only to realize I am just finishing the second case. I've never really found myself wishing I had made less of beer.

Craig

Good points, I'd like to make this although I am purely extract brewing right now. This would be a good opportunity for me to gain some additional brewing experience. I am buying kegs this week, so can fill one of them up! Thanks for any help with the recipe conversion.

Chris

Pretty good stout. Would have to say that I definately like it better after a few weeks in the keg. Not as bitter as some stouts. The oatmeal works well. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a chocolate coffee stout that is as smooth as this. Good beer.

I have this fermenting right now in the primary. I didn't have willamette hops, I used some columbus, all I had, and used enough to get the same bittering level figuring that 60 mins will not provide any flavor anyway. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

What is "batch sparging"?
I have heard this term before, and wanted to know if it's better.
Yes, 2 equal sparges.

I have gotten more positive comments about this beer than any other beer I have made. It seems everyone likes it.
I will have to brew it again as I'm all out.

Craig

just curious on what type of fermentation people saw on this one, i was bubbling like made the first day or so, now almost nothing...realize that's not a true indicator but just curious if others saw the same

Just wanted to give a review on this recipe: Followed OP recipe except added 1.25pds of oatmeal because that's what I had. Its been in the primary for 10 days right now and I just did a gravity reading and tasted a sample. All I can say was "Wow" this is a damn good recipe with little to no bite. Plan on making this one more often.

Dan

This looks like the first thing I will brew once my grain order arrives. However I only have a little bit of cara-munich III and vienna malt, can I just make up for the crystal and victory with extra 2-row, or sub with marris otter to get a biscuity flavor. I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to pitch this onto a ringwood yeast cake that should be available by the time I'm ready to brew. Any thoughts?

First all grain batch, turned out excellent. Very smooth, yet crisp. Distinctive taste as well. Great style and good after taste. So good I'm sharing some with my brother-in-law as a late christmas present.

Highly recommend and will definitely brew again!

Question:

At this time of year I can only ferment at 68-70. I noticed you ferm at 64 for this. While there will be some issues there, do you think it will still be smooth and tasty?

I had no problems- my low was 65 but only reached that days after fermentation. I am usually around the same range as you 66-69. biggest piece of advice is to "age it." It tastes better the second month, even better the third month- now I only have two bottles left!

I had no problems- my low was 65 but only reached that days after fermentation. I am usually around the same range as you 66-69. biggest piece of advice is to "age it." It tastes better the second month, even better the third month- now I only have two bottles left!

That's my plan too! I mean having only 2 bottles left :mug:

Thanks!

Ok Im sold! Been wanting to do an oatmeal stout since the get go. Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on this one tomorrow. Following the OP recipe exact except using a full 7# of 2-row. This is only my 2nd all grain so I'm not exactly confident in my efficiency yet, although the 1st attempt seemed to land me close to 80%. I will post the outcome. Wish me luck!

Cool. Brewed it twelve days ago today. Just bottled and kegged last night. Very tasty from the sample I took. I'd been drinking on a growler of an oat stout from a local brew pub that I always really like, and I think I may be liking this one better once it's carbed. Great success!! Thx

this was the first beer i've tried. just started it last night and it smells fantastic, the gravity came out at 1.035, so ill probably increase the grains on future recipes, or just do a better job of sparging, it was pretty chaotic, due to the grains being too much for the grain bag so we were also using a clean pair of pantyhose for the other grain bag, and with the mardi gras parades going on last night. but its fermenting nicely at 65 and ill tell you how it turns out!

with it be a 1.035 gravity, would i bottle it after just a week of fermentation at 65 degrees, sot hat it will still carbonate properly?

ill go check it right now then, if it goes to low, i could just prime it , but id rather not throw anything in else in there

I've been drinking this one out if the keg for about a week now and wanted to givea few days before I posted my thoughts. This is a really good stout and finishes very smooth and clean, but almost a little too clean for me. I've been drinking a lot ofstouts lately and I guess ive come to expect that bit of bite in the finish, this one doesn't have that. And I know it's not supposed to. Don't get met wrong, it is very tasty and easy to drink. I will do this one again, but next time I will try toasting the oats and see if that gives me what I'm looking for. Good recipe though and stays true to the title!

alright, iv just had the yeast peter out on alot of ciders even with added sugar, so i wasnt sure, thanks for the reassurance though!

its been bottled for a few days an is carbing perfectly, and completely delicous!, it is a tad on the watery side but thats all our fualt. it was our first beer an we through the base grains in a grain bag. and by grain bag i mean we didnt have one big enough so we used some tights. but everyone whos tried it loves it still, awesome recipe

You did all grain your first try at beer? Or is this your first all grain batch. What happened that caued that low of a gravity? Did you step mash?

General question: is it ok to add extract to try and boost the gravity/alcohol between fermentation?

Amanofbeer said:
You did all grain your first try at beer? Or is this your first all grain batch. What happened that caued that low of a gravity? Did you step mash?

General question: is it ok to add extract to try and boost the gravity/alcohol between fermentation?

I think you could do that but you'd have to boil it first to sanitize

Back