keg lid false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenArmBrewing

Reaction score
Sorry for not posting this on the original thread. The mobile app is horriable at its search function....

Anyway, before I cut these slots into a keg log, I was looking for some feed back. The two big circles will not be cut, just for reference. The dots will be drilled 1/8 holes. I plan on slicing open some tubing and wrapping the edge. The second photo will be the pickup tube
Cutting discs are like 10 bucks for a dozen dremel style tool. Keg lid free. Copper parts still half to be sources.
Thoughts comments?

ForumRunner_20130106_160444.jpg

ForumRunner_20130106_160558.png

The design looks pretty good. I wish I had thought of that before I bought my FBs.

You'll probably want to lengthen the dip tube a bit to get it as close to the bottom as possible. It looks a little short in the picture.

Also, Dremel tool wheels are going to take forever to make those slots and I doubt a dozen will be enough. They'll also probably be too thin for good flow. I'd go with a an angle grinder with 4 in cut-off wheels.

I was and probably use the angle grinder...it seems like its would be hard to get close in the tight areas. Yea the dip tube will be fit to an 1/8" off bottom. That was a pic somebody else had.

Cool. BTW, you won't need the split tubing around the edge either. The edge seam doesn't need to be water tight, it just needs to leak about the same amount as the other openings.

Very cool, I which I had done a better job at cutting my kegs, not sure I can reuse, going to try though.

Cool. BTW, you won't need the split tubing around the edge either. The edge seam doesn't need to be water tight, it just needs to leak about the same amount as the other openings.

Even better!

I'm still trying to figure how rp make the final connection. I have 3/4 male threads inside. Was thinking a barb and some flex hose

Any luck with soldering SS to copper?

Even better!

I'm still trying to figure how rp make the final connection. I have 3/4 male threads inside. Was thinking a barb and some flex hose

Any luck with soldering SS to copper?

I've done a lot of soldering SS to SS but not SS to copper. I don't it's an issue though as long as you have the right flux. Plumber's paste flux will not work. You need the all-purpose liquid flux that specifically says it will work for SS. It works with copper too.

As far as the final connection goes, I think a 3/4 compression fitting will mate to a 1/2 copper pipe. It should be easy to find a FPT to compression fitting in 3/4 inch. Either way, I try to hard pipe it rather than use a barb/flex if I could.

I'll keep that in mind. Making a lowes parts run on Saturday. I'm trying to keep this under 40 bucks. Anything after that an I can buy one. Plus I want to be able to sell a setup to a buddie and save him some money as well

I doubt Lowes will have the flux or even know what you're asking for. Try a local Ace HW store or maybe an auto parts store. A local welding shop would be even better.

+1 for Lowes not knowing much. I gave them 8 years in the kitchen cabinet department designing and selling cabinets. Our plumbing department was a mess. As well as our electrical! Now I'm a banker at Regions. Love me my banker hours!

Looks a LOT like what I did...
I used a cutoff blade on an angle grinder and then filled the "web" part that was left with somewhere around 1,200 holes with a #40 drill. I am getting right at 85% efficiency with this fb on session beer. I'm couldn't be more happy with it.

2012-07-29%2019.44.50.jpg

Huaco, I did see yours! I'm glad I didn't take 100% credit! Hoe are the slits with that angle grinder. I was afraid that it would be too wide

Nope... they are actually just right. While cleaning up after brewing I have been paying close attention to the slots to see if they get packed with grain. On average, I will have about 10-15 little pieces of crushed grain lodged in a slot or hole. That is nothing that is going to effect flow or efficiency.
Just take your time with the cutting wheel on the angle grinder and you will be good. Don't force the blade... let it do the work it was designed to do. My only screw up on this FB is seen in this photo at about 7-O'clock mid way down the group of slots. The grinder got away from me and gouged a little bit.
Try to calculate your open space percentage and keep it above 15%. I think I have 17% open space in this one.

Nope... they are actually just right. While cleaning up after brewing I have been paying close attention to the slots to see if they get packed with grain. On average, I will have about 10-15 little pieces of crushed grain lodged in a slot or hole. That is nothing that is going to effect flow or efficiency.
Just take your time with the cutting wheel on the angle grinder and you will be good. Don't force the blade... let it do the work it was designed to do. My only screw up on this FB is seen in this photo at about 7-O'clock mid way down the group of slots. The grinder got away from me and gouged a little bit.
Try to calculate your open space percentage and keep it above 15%. I think I have 17% open space in this one.

That's too much math for me lol. I'll be giving it a go then! Will post pics when done

Get a good flow with out grain. Only leaves about a cup of liquid at bottom. I'll probably add a few more holes on the star shaped area near

ForumRunner_20130112_205324.png

ForumRunner_20130112_205345.png

Back