How to force plastic false bottom to bottom of mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a plastic false bottom that I'm trying to use in a 10g home depot mash tun. I previously trimmed about an inch off it (all around) to make it fit in a smaller cooler, but I've had trouble with it popping up and getting clogged. I'm using thick high-temp tubing to run to the spigot. Any thoughts on forcing it to seal properly to the bottom or should I look at alternate approaches?

Cheers,

Jason

ive never heard of a plastic false bottom.... do you have a link or picture?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZyEY1P17Ebxha-JDGgdLr6wkiJwFLiiLyBzf_lQ6gorfVuMpl
images

Probably depends on how you sparge.

If you fly sparge, I would hardpipe it. I have a stainless steel false bottom, and before I built my stand I would accidently flip the false bottom when pouring in 6 gallons of sparge water at once, LOL. so I hard piped it, used some copper and an elbow fitting forced into a compression fitting bulkhead (http://brewhardware.com/valves/59-weldless-bulkhead)

img20120414120756.jpg

Oh the hole for the false bottom was too big so I slipped one of the extra silicone o-rings bobby sends in his kit over the pipe. Doesn't move, and I can attest to it because I mix my mash with a clay mixer. Gets 8 gallons of mash water combined with 24lbs of grain to a vortext, lol.

If you batch sparge, throw something heavy and stainless on it, or if you want to go overboard you can drill into the bottom of the color to secure it, but it would be a pain. Hard plumbing is nice because i don't have to go dumpster diving everytime I dump my grain into the trash and forget the false bottom was down there.

Back