Adhesive for inside of fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a fridge to use as a cellar and the included shelves suck. My current thought is to add wooden shelves by gluing 1"x1" (or something) strips to the sidewalls and set plywood shelves on them. I'm having a little trouble sourcing an adhesive that would make this wood to plastic (I'm guessing it's HDPE??) bond nice and strong.

Any suggestions? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I used Liquid nail in mine. Not sure how big your fridge is, but mine is a side by side and I used 2x4's for the legs and 3/4" board for the shelves. I am able to fit one 6 gallon glass carboy on the bottom of both sides. I can fit two 5 gallon class carboys on the top of the fridge side, and if I want to I can put some more on the freezer side.

Works great.

I was wanting to avoid legs, just horizontal ledges glued to the side. I'm guessing you have vertical legs? And this isn't for carboys, just bottles.

Most any construction adhesive should work as it is rated to bond with "typical construction products". I would score the fridge, just rough it up with sandpaper. Consider Gorilla Glue.

I was wanting to avoid legs, just horizontal ledges glued to the side. I'm guessing you have vertical legs? And this isn't for carboys, just bottles.

And when one shelf slips and the whole thing crashes down, you will ask yourself why you didn't just use some simple 1x strips to act as legs.

Use small legs. If you ever want to get rid of the shelf and use it for something else you are going to hate it.

3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200.

It works on fiberglass, it should work on the interior of a fridge.

JB Weld - might take more than you want and might look ugly, but it takes humidity and temperatures well. (scuff up the plastic first)

Back