Strong Bitter Buckeye Burton ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
28g cooper\'s ale yeast
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
re-hydrated in 2C water & 1tsp dextrose
Batch Size (Gallons)
6G,or 23L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
30 minutes
Color
amber/copper
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days
Additional Fermentation
in bottles 6 weeks
Tasting Notes
amber/copper color,sweet bite with light toasty fruity notes
1)3lb bag Munton's plain light DME
1 can cooper's English bitter
1) can cooper's OS Draught
1oz US Golding raw hops
1oz US Fuggle raw hops
1oz Willamette raw hops
4-7g packets cooper's ale yeast (Burton ale yeast can also be used)
PS* Initial temp was 22C...

I got 2.75 gallons of water boiling,to which add half the 3lb bag of light DME. Stir to fully incorporate,waiting for small hot break that'll last about 3 mins. Add 1oz US Golding @ 25 mins,1oz US Fuggle @ 16:50,1oz Willamette @ 8:40. @ flame out,add remaining DME,stir in fully,then stir in both cooper's cans one at a time till no more LME can be scraped of the bottom of the BK.
Cover & steep for 10-15 mins while preparing FV,etc. Put in sink with cold water for a couple of mins,drain water,then fill empty space in sink with ice to the brim of the sink. Then top off empty space around ice with cold water.
Place thermometer in BK,wait till it gets down to 75F. Put fine mesh strainer on FV,then pour chilled wort through it into FV. Dito with top off water. You should get 3-5" of foam this way,but stir roughly for 5 mins to further mix wort & water. Temp should be 64-67F.
Take hydrometer sample,then stir re-hydrated yeast,& pitch. Seal container,start with a blow off rig the first 4 days or so. Then switch to a clean,sanitized airlock filled with cheap vodka. Nasties that do get into the airlock will die of alcohol poisoning. When it gets down to a stable FG,let it ride another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out more. Prime with 4.1oz Demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) in 2C boiled water,allowing to cool to 70F or so. Let a couple inches of ale rack into bottling bucket,then add priming solution. Finish racking,then stir gently several times to further mix priming solution. I got 63 bottles out of this 6 gallon batch,letting them sit at room temp 6 weeks. They def need at least 8 days fridge time,but 14 days is way better. I hope you enjoy this dead ale. It's not seen the light of day for some 122 years! I have revvy's senses to thank for giving me the confidence to post the recipe. So I guess I can say it has revvy's seal of approval?...
**Here's a pic to show what it looks like; http:// Idk why it wants to show the full size image instead of the regular size that comes up on photobucket? Besides direct links stopped working?

I'll be making a 5 gal batch of this later this winter and then laying it down for a good nap. Any guesses how long it will keep?

Back