Off gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBeerMan

Reaction score
Hey folks. Got a question about my gravity readings being out of range. I'm brewing a smoked porter from a Brewer's Best kit. My original gravity reading was already at the lower limits of the specified range before I reached the full five gallons as I was bringing it to volume. Then, about a week ago, I took another reading and it was above the specified range for the final gravity reading. The batch was technically ready to bottle last weekend but I've held off. All this has caused me to have a lower volume and lower alcohol content than what is laid out in the recipe.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Generally with extract recipes, as long as you added the right amount of ingredients and water then your gravity reading should be right where you need it. The reason for this is because you are using malt extracts were as in an all grain batch you actually have to extract the sugars from the grain. What probably happened was that your wort was not mixed well enough when it was topped off and that is what gave you the low gravity reading. As for your high FG, I would let it sit in the fermenter until it has a consistent gravity reading for at least 3 days. That is what will tell you when the beer is done. Most kits give a timeline for how long it takes but the hydrometer is the only real way to tell.

Back