shirron plate chiller users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
With the shirron plate chiller, are you basically running the water supply
full pressure and gravity thru the wort side?
I see that Austin Homebrew states that this chiller is capable of cooling wort at 1/2 gallon per minute with 66 F cooling water, or 1.1 gallons per minute with 58 F water.

I'm sure my water is much cooler than that (NJ). I'm going to do a test tomorrow.
What kind of outlet temp do most see with this chiller?

It totally depends on ground water. Mine varies so much from summer to winter that I don't even keep track of it. I take a reading before I pitch just to make sure it isn't too hot.

I use the March 809-HS pump with a ball valve on the output and pump through the Shirron into my conical. I live in Brick and during late fall and winter, ground water temperature is perfect. In the summer, I will run the ground water through a 50ft. immersion chiller set in an ice water bath to drop the temp before it hits the Shirron.

Yup, depends on your location and ground water. Personally, I gravity feed mine, with the water open all the way and have never needed to worry about anything. Of course I get some nice cold water all year long.

Erbium has a good idea though!

Back