24vac Transformer Mistake Reverse Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryce

Reaction score
So I'm wiring up my first control panel and made the mistake of reverse wiring the 24 vac transformer.... I know awesome right just perfect work... So it smoke for 1 second before I flipped it off. I reversed the wiring to the correct connection and turned it on again. All was right int he world. I'm getting 27.4 volts off the secondary side. Can I still use the transformer or do I really need to buy a new one. It ran for 5 minutes without issue.

Thanks!!

I would get a new one. Maybe the one you have is still good, but there's a chance you may have cooked the wire's enamel, or the varnish, or both. Considering it's not an expensive part, I wouldn't risk it.

How are you attaching your multimeter to get the reading off of the secondary? For instance, I have to attach my multimeter to the hot side of 120 and either the neutral or ground to get the reading but right now I have an 8V/16V/24V doorbell transformer. To get the 24VAC out of it you have to run the 8V and 16V poles together, however, I can't seem to get any reading out of the secondary side of the transformer. HELP!

I don't know how but I think I smoke checked transformer #2. I went out and replaced the door chime transformer from Lowe's with a 25.2V 2A transformer from Radio Shack and hooked it up. There are two black leads on one side for 120V with 2 yellow and one black on the other for the lower voltage. As per the instructions, the two yellow go together for the 25.2V but it doesn't say how to hook up the two black wires for 120 so I went ahead and wired one to my hot lead and the other to my neutral and I got heat and smoke so I flipped it off. I'm stumped since my all of my other wiring has checked good. There is no stray voltage on my neutral strip and none on my ground. Like I said, stumped.

Latest posts

Back