Need help with simple recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btroberg

Reaction score
A friend and I recently purchased some ingredients for a Imperial Stout which we decided not to make. We want to try to make a simpler/less time consuming recipe from what we have. Any help would be nice. We have:

7lbs Light/Pale Malt extract
3lbs Dark Dried Malt extract
1lbs Light Roast Barley
1lbs CaraPils Dextrin Malt
1lbs Chocolate Barley Malt

2oz Mt Hood Hops
2oz Willamette Hops
2oz West Coast Magnum hops (15.2% Alpha)

Safale US-05 Yeast

If anybody has ideas on ways to use part of these ingredients any help would be appreciated. We got in a little over our heads with this recipe and would like to brew something easier. I think there is some potential here but I'm not sure exactly how to make a good beer with only some of these. Thanks.

Use all 7# of light pale
Lose the dark dried
Lose the roasted barley
1/2 # of the carapils, max
Lose the Chocolate

1 oz of Magnum at 60 min
.5 oz Mt Hood & .5 oz Willimette at 5 minutes
Same 2 above at flame out.

Should be an decent IPA of sorts.

If you can do a mini-mash put 2# of 2-row in with the carapils and get it up to 152ish for 30 minutes plus before you start to boil your extract.

You could also make a nice brown ale by keeping everything but:

-the dark dried
-all but like an oz of the roast barley
-half of the chocolate

Play with some IBU calculators online to figure out how to hop it. Shoot for maybe 30-40 IBUs, higher if you want something real American.

Or head on over to Madison River and ask those guys for some advice! I like that brewery.

Thanks for the help. We will be bottling SKMO's recipe tomorrow with a couple small additions. Will let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back