When to "shake" White Labs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
I'm brewing with White Labs pitchable liquid yeast for the first time. The instructions state " Remove from refrigerator 3 - 6 hours prior to use. Shake yeast well, open cap carefully and pour into wort.

Now, do I shake it once I remove it from the frig, or right before I add it to the wort?

Thanks

Just like the instructions say - immediately prior to pitching.

Going forward, take a look-see around here on how to make a starter; those vials ARE "pitchable," but suboptimally. Making a starter is easy, and it'll significantly reduce your lag time.

crack the seal first... shake it up, let it settle a bit, then open it, or it will spray you in the face... :fro:

t1master said:
crack the seal first... shake it up, let it settle a bit, then open it, or it will spray you in the face... :fro:

Believe me, he's tellling the truth. Then you have very little yeast left for pitching. Don't ask me how I know.......

Lorena

Just wanted to chime in: I'm a firm believer in always always always making a starter (the only time I don't is if I'm pitching onto an existing cake, or I've gotten the yeast from my local brewpub, directly from the conicals). Once upon a time, I didn't make starters. Then I had a 3-day lagtime with my Wyeast 1214. Now, I do it all the time. In fact, I just reused that very same 1214 that I harvested, but this time, I made a starter. Instead of a 3-day lag time like it had the first time, it had a 3 HOUR lag time. Just wanted to second what Bird said.

Back