Grain Depth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
How important is the grain depth in the MLT? I've been batch sparging but would like to start fly sparging. I normally do 5 gal batches but I will on occasion do 10 gal batches too. With that said I'd like to be able to use the same cooler for both sizes. I currently have a stainless braid but I will switch over a cpvc manifold before the next brew day.

Thanks for the wisdom!

Nick

I have 2MLT's, one 5g and 1 10g, both Rubbermaid round coolers. I also fly sparge.
The 5g has a cross sectional area of about 254 square inches, and the 10g is 530.
I only brew 5g batches with a grain bill of about 8 - 14#, usually about 11#
I've never used the 10g MLT with less than 10# grain, and I've never used the 5g with more than 13.5#
Within those constraints, I get 85% brewhouse efficiency with the 5g, and 80% with the 10g. The percentages never seem to vary (except when I was getting used to the 10g setup). I put the efficiency difference down to the reduced grain bed depth in the 10g cooler, but there could be other factors that I am not aware of.
I find that I can sparge in the 10g cooler about twice as fast as in the 5g with no loss in efficiency (30 min for 10# vs 60 min). I put this down to the larger area, but again I could be wrong. I may also be able to reduce the sparge time with the 10g cooler, but I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.

-a.

Back